Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off removed then put back on.

tag
airborne07
Valued Member

Charge Off removed then put back on.

In regards to a charge off from USAA that I am dealing, can they remove the account then put it back on?  This happens at the end of every month, it is keeping my score low which is what I am pretty sure is intentional.  It is only happening on Equifax though.  Is it the bank doing this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Charge Off removed then put back on.

are you saying that every month, they reinsert it, take it away, then reinsert it again? when was the charge offs DOFD?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@airborne07 wrote:

In regards to a charge off from USAA that I am dealing, can they remove the account then put it back on?  This happens at the end of every month, it is keeping my score low which is what I am pretty sure is intentional.  It is only happening on Equifax though.  Is it the bank doing this?

Yes, they are updating monthly. Common tactic to put maximum pressure on you. If its a legit item it would benefit you to settle with them.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA only provides for limitations on reinsertion of previously deleted information if the deletion came about due to a finding in a dispute that the accuracy of the reporting could not be verified.  Under those conditions, any request to reinsert must be accompanied by a Certification of Accuracy of the information, thus providing the previously lacking verification.

In the posted situation, if the deletion was voluntary, there are no limitations upon its reinsertion.

Credit reporting is voluntary, so deletion of their prior reporting is likewise at their discretion.  Perhaps not a consumer-friendly act, but consumer friendliness may not be a prime consideration when they are facing loss of their $$.

Message 4 of 7
airborne07
Valued Member

That is correct, it comes off and on in the same shot.  This went into default summer of 2014.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It appears to be a sign of agressive pursuit of the debt.

If the debt is still within SOL, I would be particularly concerned........

Message 6 of 7
airborne07
Valued Member

They can be aggressive all they want.  If they try to sue I already have a plan in place.  As I stated before, this is only with my Equifax report for some reason.  I am thnking about trying to settle but only if they have it removed from my report.  If not they can cancel xmas. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.