Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off showing as OPEN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Off showing as OPEN

Hey,

I signed into my CK today and it currently shows my Cap One charge off as open. It has always been closed since Mar 2010. Why does this show as open when it was purchsed by a collection agency (Midland) in Mar 2010? 

Last Reported
Apr 06, 2015
Creditor Name
CAPITAL ONE BANK USA
Account Type
Credit Card
Account Status
Open
Opened Date
Oct 01, 2008
Closed Date
--
Limit
$500
Term
--
Monthly Payment
--
Responsibility
Individual Account.
Balance
$0
Highest Balance
--
Payment Status
Collection/Charge-Off
Worst Payment Status
--
Date of Last Payment
Nov 01, 2009
Amount Past Due
--
Times 30/60/90 Days Late
2/1/1
Remarks
Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in progress

Has anyone had this happen to them?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge Off showing as OPEN

I have seen this scenario in other threads. Since it just updated I would dispute the status of open with a direct dispute to Cap-1 with request to report correctly as closed.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Message 2 of 4
crrredit
Established Contributor

Maybe check your real report before you do anything. I have a CO/Collection account that's listed as open on CK, but a report from the actual bureau shows it closed.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Revolving accounts that have been charged-off by the creditor will not permit the consumer to increase the debt.

They are closed.

Lack of reporting of the account as closed is a minor failure to have reported that closure.

A dispute will simply require the creditor to update.  An informal call can achieve the same result without adding a formal dispute, and thus the need to remove the pending dispute flag once the correction is made.  I would call and remind them of their responsibility under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update any reporting so as to maintian its current accuracy.  The consumer should not have to dispute if the creditor is aware of and agrees with an inaccuracy.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.