cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Offs Still Reporting Past Due & Balance

tag
Kelliz

Charge Offs Still Reporting Past Due & Balance

Working on cleaning up my credit report and from what I've read on past threads here, charge offs that were sold to a collection agency should have a zero balance right? I'm showing multiple accounts that still show a past due/balance that were charged off. I disputed with the CRA's and they updated a few minutes ago, didn't change anything but added a note stating "amount in high credit is original charge off amount" There's a total of 11k from charge offs then another 11k of collections from those accounts. Am I missing something here!? Thankfully I've been successful in getting two collections removed with TX DV. Any insight is appreciated. Happy Friday!!

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 569
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge Offs Still Reporting Past Due & Balance

If the creditor still owns the debt, the reporting of a charge-off does not require any update of the debt balance to $0.

Update to $0 is required only if they sell the debt to another.

If the OC hires a debt collector to assist them in collection on the debt, the debt collector can also report, showing the amount they are atttempting to collect.

The OC account would also continue to show the current debt balance owed to them.

That is not double reporting of the same debt, as the OC reporting represents the debt balance, and the collection reporting represents the amount that the debt collector is authorized to conduct collection efforts on behalf of the owner.

Message 2 of 4
Kelliz

Thanks for the clarification. They were sold. What would you suggest my next step be after the CRA's do not update to $0?

Starting Score: 540
Current Score: 569
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did you provde them a clear showing that the OC no longer owned the debt?

Alternately, you could contact the OC and remind them of their requirment (FCRA 623(a)(2)) to have promptly updated the balance upon their sale of the debt.

Hopefully, they will update without a renewed dispute.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.