Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off Falls date?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge off Falls date?

All,

I am aware that charge off has to be in my trade line for 7 full years in order to fall off from my report.  Question is from what date that it count, which date is the clock start and stop kicking?

1 charge off

opened date : 3/1/2010

date last report of CO : 10/20/2014

Major Delinquency :02/2013

First Delinquncy date : 08/2012

Which of these date is the clock start till 7years to falls off? ALSO I heard you can still call the credit bureause to have them remove in 6.5 years?

Charge off is paid and settled. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charge off Falls date?

7 yrs + 180 days from first date of delinquency

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge off Falls date?

If you simply read the statement of exclusion dates for charge-offs and collections, as stated in the ortginal FCRA 605(a)(4), it is nebulous as to when the 7 year period begins.

That, for years, led to reset of running of the exclusion period for collections whenever a new debt collector reported a collection.

That confusion led to congress amending the FCRA decades ago by addition of secitons 605(c) and 623(a)(5), which clarified once and for all that the eclusion period for either a collection or charge-off runs from one single date-certain, which is the DOFD on the OC account.

You cant simply read the listed exclusion periods under FCRA 605(a) for definition of credit report exclusion of a collection or charge-off.

You need to additionally read the clarifying addition of sections 605(c) and 623(a)(5).

For a charge-off, also be aware that the date either that the creditor took the charge off or decided to then report it to a CRA is immaterial.

The date they took a charge-off is not even reported.  The only relevant date is the DOFD that preceded their charge-off, which must be reported to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting that they took a charge-off.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.