Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off date keeps changing

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge off date keeps changing

winstars wrote:

Wow, thanks for the great info from 2 of the best here!!! CRTP= credit reporting time period???

So if the OP's DOFD was in 2006 and he lives in a state that for instance, has 4 year SOL, they can still sue him and he just needs to show up in court and essentially present  the states SOL law to the court??? And 7-7.5 years after DOFD, no matter what the OC has put on his CR's it then falls off???

Yes, yes, and yes. There is nothing that can legally reset the DOFD thereby causing it to report longer. A payment can't cause it to report longer. An OC or CA selling the debt cannot make it report longer. Changing the DOLA or date reported cannot make it report longer. The date that must hold firm is DOFD and changing it could be illegal. Now if the account is still with the OC, then being late 30 here, 60 there, or even 90+, AND you bring the account current before they CO it, can reset DOFD. Why? Because the account is brought current and still open and active and there would be no DOFD.

ETA...I will add that I've had a couple of COs with the DOFD clearly listed, but they've still reported past the 7-7.5 yr CRTP. This is because sometimes the OC will delete all negative references at the 7-7.5 yr mark, including the DOFD, and report as a positive for another 3 years or so. I had a CO where the DOFD was in 1997. It deleted on its own last year. At some point they removed the lates and DOFD and it reported as a positive and really helped my length of history.

Message 11 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Slab wrote:

I have a charged off electric bill that was last paid on 6-2006. The electric company has posted that it was charged off 7-2010 and now they are posting that it was charged off 10-2011 and 11-2011. I disputed the 7-2010 date and that is when they posted the other 2 dates. When looking at my Equifax report, it has an 81 month payment log. The payment log shows Paid as agreed for every month except for the 3 months I listed. The problem is that I have not paid them anything since 7-2006. Being that they have posted the 10-2011 and 11-2011 CO or Charge Off, my Fico says that I have recent missed payments. No, I have 5 year old missed payment. I have disputed the way they are posting the CO and it is like they are trying to make it look like this is a recent CO. How can I get them from posting that it is a recent CO? This has affected my scores negatively. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Thanks in advance

Just to clarify ~ is the consensus opinion here that this reporting is not improper ??   A creditor with a old account can continue to mark the account as CO any month after they charge off the account ?    This doesn't seem right to me as FICO is interpreting as it as recent and causing a score hit.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 16
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Yes Pizzadude, FICO makes it look like these are recent misses and therefore, my FICO is reporting a lower score. Fico has the scale that shows things that are hurting my score on the left in red and things that are helping my score on the right in green. On the left in red, it says, "recent missed payments" for the last 2 months. It is obvious vengence by the utility company for me filing a dispute about the utility reporting CO on 7-2010. I have a feeling they will report CO for this last month and my FICO will again state "last missed payment" 1 month ago.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 13 of 16
Slab
Frequent Contributor

Also, on the scale that has the items in red on the left that are hurting my score are showing 3 items for this one utility bill.

Message 14 of 16
Slab
Frequent Contributor

1,2 and 4 all have to do with this one charged off bill, last payment 7-2006. Sorry I didn't put all of this on 1 post.

Message 15 of 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah that's what I'm struggling to understand. When an account is charged off that is a one time occurance right ? The account can't be put back on the books next month and then re charged off.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.