Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off reporting monthly!?

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge off reporting monthly!?

There was no mention of a CA on here. Yes the OC can update CO, yes they can post lates if they still own the debt. If it's sold, it must be marked as $0 owed and then CO only. But no mention of a CA so maybe the CA still has the debt. As far as timing, I have seen many that have updated the status to recent that does affect the scores, so the more recent, the worse that affect is.
Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 11 of 15
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:
There was no mention of a CA on here. Yes the OC can update CO, yes they can post lates if they still own the debt. If it's sold, it must be marked as $0 owed and then CO only. But no mention of a CA so maybe the CA still has the debt. As far as timing, I have seen many that have updated the status to recent that does affect the scores, so the more recent, the worse that affect is.

My understanding of OPs question is that the OC (i typed CA oops) is constantly updating the report as a CO/Collection (or sometimes we know this as KD).

This, IMO, does NOT affect your scores.  Reason:  If it was a CO/collection 5 years ago and every month for 60 months the OC has updated the account as still a CO/collection (or KD) and has changed the Last Reported Date to the current month, then that has no bearing on scores.

I maintain that the reason this happens is that OCs (or CA, or whomever puts this into practice) think that it affects scores.  They may be trying to do this because they are NOT allowed to REAGE accounts.  Reaging affects scores.  Updating a CO/colletion account to reflect that it is still a CO/collection account does nothing.

My points are made whether or not I understand Ops original question lol. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 15
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Monthly reporting lates after a CO is a score killer, big time.

Yes it's legal to report lates after CO.The OC is only reporting the CO once, it's the reporting lates that are hurting.

Yes I believe a PFD would be best or something with the lates removed.

2 very important dates to know.....The DoFD and your states SOL.

What type of loan is this?

Does you brother have the funds to pay the balance?

Do you know this for sure?  Cuz I am inclined to disagree with you.

FICO looks at a CO/Collection the same as far as age goes.  The older the CO/Collection is, the less it hurts your score regardless of the DoLA or Last Reported Date.

Personally, I think that the CA only thinks that it is harmful to a credit score and thats why they do it.

IMO, the joke's on them.  Cuz it doesn't hurt a score any more or any less and yet the CA has to pay everytime they "update" the monthly reporting.  Joke is on them.

Hi ccnewcc,

I dont mind you disagreeing with me. That's what we all are here for right, to understand how fico scores.

Let me tell you what happened to me and you tell me what you think OK?

I had a CO still reporting for over 8 years with 48 lates. After I brought this to EQ attention, they removed it. My score jumped 40 points. My thinking is FICO knew it was over the 7.5 years reporting time due to the DoFD and the effects of the CO should've been exausted exhausted by this time.

The 48  120day lates was the only thing left to score on. Maybe my thinking is wrong, I just dont know.  That's why I read and study what others say about their CR's. If anyone else cares to jump in, please do so because I would like to know also.Smiley Wink

ETA..forgot to spell check lol

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 13 of 15
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Monthly reporting lates after a CO is a score killer, big time.

Yes it's legal to report lates after CO.The OC is only reporting the CO once, it's the reporting lates that are hurting.

Yes I believe a PFD would be best or something with the lates removed.

2 very important dates to know.....The DoFD and your states SOL.

What type of loan is this?

Does you brother have the funds to pay the balance?

Do you know this for sure?  Cuz I am inclined to disagree with you.

FICO looks at a CO/Collection the same as far as age goes.  The older the CO/Collection is, the less it hurts your score regardless of the DoLA or Last Reported Date.

Personally, I think that the CA only thinks that it is harmful to a credit score and thats why they do it.

IMO, the joke's on them.  Cuz it doesn't hurt a score any more or any less and yet the CA has to pay everytime they "update" the monthly reporting.  Joke is on them.

Hi ccnewcc,

I dont mind you disagreeing with me. That's what we all are here for right, to understand how fico scores.

Let me tell you what happened to me and you tell me what you think OK?

I had a CO still reporting for over 8 years with 48 lates. After I brought this to EQ attention, they removed it. My score jumped 40 points. My thinking is FICO knew it was over the 7.5 years reporting time due to the DoFD and the effects of the CO should've been exausted exhausted by this time.

The 48  120day lates was the only thing left to score on. Maybe my thinking is wrong, I just dont know.  That's why I read and study what others say about their CR's. If anyone else cares to jump in, please do so because I would like to know also.Smiley Wink

ETA..forgot to spell check lol

Hmm thats interesting.  Idk.  

I thought that FICO was calculated based on what is in your reports without discrimination.  So if an account is still on your report when it is passed the exculsion period (whether the account is a negative or a postitive TL), FICO is including that account in its calculation.

From what i understand, CO will hurt less over time in FICOs calculation.  But that damage to the FICO score never reaches a zero damage effect until it is gone from the reports.

Could the 40 point increase not just be the result of the CO being removed?

Btw, I could be wrong.  I prolly know less about FICO than you and my knowledge is also based on assumptions.

Message 14 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

While I agree that it shouldn't make a difference when it's updated as far as scoring goes, I've just seen that recent updating has affected it.  No one really knows the algorithm that's used, or how it's calculated.  I've seen old COs that are paid recent get a bump up, and I've seen them get a bump down.  I have no idea why.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.