cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge-off same month it was paid in full?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge-off same month it was paid in full?

Hello, I am new here.

In late 2005 I got a installment loan with Unicorn Financial.  In April 2006 I paid it in full.  Sometime after that they were wholly acuired by Chase.  Since around the end of 2006 Chase hase been reporting that account as a revolving account and that it was charged off.  I verified with chase that it was paid off they told me to dispute it with the credit agencies so it could be fixed.  In May of 2007 I disputed it and Chase told the credit agencies that no the infomation they had was correct, that it was an unpaid charge off.

Recently I contacted Chase again and got proof from them that it was paid in April of 2006.  However they stated that it was also charge off in april but never sent to collections and that they would only tell the credit agencies that it is a charge-off paid-off account.

My question is how chan something be charged-off then paid-off within the same month and then be reported to the credit agencies for years as a charge-off?

An is there anyway I can get this off my credit report?

Please help this one thing is killing my score and my name.

Oh and I was never told it was charged off when I paid it in full.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Charge-off same month it was paid in full?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I am new here.

In late 2005 I got a installment loan with Unicorn Financial.  In April 2006 I paid it in full.  Sometime after that they were wholly acuired by Chase.  Since around the end of 2006 Chase hase been reporting that account as a revolving account and that it was charged off.  I verified with chase that it was paid off they told me to dispute it with the credit agencies so it could be fixed.  In May of 2007 I disputed it and Chase told the credit agencies that no the infomation they had was correct, that it was an unpaid charge off.

Recently I contacted Chase again and got proof from them that it was paid in April of 2006.  However they stated that it was also charge off in april but never sent to collections and that they would only tell the credit agencies that it is a charge-off paid-off account.

My question is how chan something be charged-off then paid-off within the same month and then be reported to the credit agencies for years as a charge-off?

An is there anyway I can get this off my credit report?

Please help this one thing is killing my score and my name.

Oh and I was never told it was charged off when I paid it in full.

Okay the very first question....

1. Were you late on your payment and how long?

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was late 120 days.  I thought it was a pay in full before the end of the 12 month period.  When they contacted me and told me it had a minimum monthly payment and I was late I paid it in full.  And Chase cannot produce any documentation that it was charged off.

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The term "charge-off" really doesn't mean anything. You can have a CO'd account and still owe money on it and it can still show a balance. It's totally up to the creditor when they mark it as a CO, though most do that within 6 months or so. In other words, they can charge it off and still own and collect on the debt. Now once they sell it, then they have to report $0 and stop the lates if unpaid.

If you paid it off, whether PIF or a settlement, then it is supposed to read as a paid charge off at this moment. If not, then there's work to do. Per revolving vs. installment, they need to report correctly, but per the FICO score, it doesn't matter if the balance is $0.

Send them a GW letter and either ask them to delete or if this is one of your older accounts, ask them to remove any lates or negative comments (like paid charge off).

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1.

A charge off is an internal bookeeping measure taken by the creditor to move a delinquent debt from a receivable asset over to an uncollectible liability, thus improving their bookeeping for tax purposes.  The consumer normally has no knowledge of when a creditor does such an internal business practice, and is not part to that process.  The creditor is not requried to keep you advised of their internal business dealings.  It is not a classic separate delinquency in the sense that it does not result directly from a date of consumer noncompliance with any terms of their account agreement.

As such, in my opinion, charge-offs have no business in the credit reporting process.  They are really nothing more than the creditor's opinion on how they view the debt (they must assert that it is now "uncollectible" in order to do a charge-off).  It is hard to deal with an opinion.  Nonetheless, the CRAs accept the reporting of charge-offs, and FICO considers them to be a risk analysis indicator, so they score them.

When the creditor reports a charge-off, the date of their reporting does not have to coincide with the date of their actual internal business transaction of the charge-off itself.  You dont know when they did the actual procedure of the charge-off.  If a prior charge-off was done, it can reported at any time thereafter.  All that is required for accuracy of their reporting is that they did a prior charge-off.

Message 5 of 7
DI
Super Contributor

OP,

I had something similar to happen to me back in 2004 with JC Penny.  I was having credit problems and the account got behind.  JC Penny sent me a letter to pay the account off. I  did a post dated check by phone with the CSR to pay the account in full.  JC Penney got its money.  But I guess some other department sent the account to an outside collection agency.  There must have been some lack of communication.  Anyway, when they sent the already paid in full account to collections, the collection agency harrassed me and violated the FDCPA.  In the end, after several months of writing letters and filing a complaint with the Beter Business Bureau,  I had enough evidence and sent them a demand letter.   I received a call from GE's Attorney offering to settle the dispute with me.  The account had a $300 credit line.  GE sent me around $1300 after signing a waiver to not sue.  They also removed all late payments and asked if I'd like to keep the account open.  I had them to closed the account.  The account still appear on my credit reports today.  And I still have the settlement letter. 

Youo may want to file a complaint with the BBB to get the problem rectified. 

Message 6 of 7
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

+1.

A charge off is an internal bookeeping measure taken by the creditor to move a delinquent debt from a receivable asset over to an uncollectible liability, thus improving their bookeeping for tax purposes.  The consumer normally has no knowledge of when a creditor does such an internal business practice, and is not part to that process.  The creditor is not requried to keep you advised of their internal business dealings.  It is not a classic separate delinquency in the sense that it does not result directly from a date of consumer noncompliance with any terms of their account agreement.

As such, in my opinion, charge-offs have no business in the credit reporting process.  They are really nothing more than the creditor's opinion on how they view the debt (they must assert that it is now "uncollectible" in order to do a charge-off).  It is hard to deal with an opinion.  Nonetheless, the CRAs accept the reporting of charge-offs, and FICO considers them to be a risk analysis indicator, so they score them.

When the creditor reports a charge-off, the date of their reporting does not have to coincide with the date of their actual internal business transaction of the charge-off itself.  You dont know when they did the actual procedure of the charge-off.  If a prior charge-off was done, it can reported at any time thereafter.  All that is required for accuracy of their reporting is that they did a prior charge-off.

The reason Charge Offs exist is that under GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) financial institutions are required to no longer count credit accounts as assets after a given period of delinquincy. After the pre-determined timeframe goes by, they must charge off the account from their assets and mark it as a loss (and they hope that their actual losses do not exceed the accouting loss reserve they set asside on their balance sheet to account for expected losses).

Generally speaking the delinquincy periods under GAAP should be very similar at every financial institution for similar credit products and accounts, but they can vary by financial institution (but generally only for to shorten the timeframe). Quoting Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_off):

"In the United States, Federal regulations require creditors to charge-off installment loans after 120 days of delinquency, while revolving credit accounts must be charged-off after 180 days."

Now, the way you can both get a CO and PIF the same month works something like this.

1st of the month: Revovling account becomes 180 days past due

2nd of the month: Account becomes 181 days past due and under GAAP and federal banking regulations the account must be no longer considered collectable, so it is charged off the banks assets and becomes a loss. The bank reports the account as a CO to the CRAs.

15th of the month: You PIF. The bank strikes the loss it took, records the revenue and it updates the CRAs to reflect the updated balance -- zero from whatever it was.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.