Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off vs collections

tag
Bigtonyp24
Contributor

Charge off vs collections

So I disputed a capital one charge off and as of Today it's reflected as collections settled less than full balance I am assuming that is better than having it as charge off correct?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge off vs collections

@Bigtonyp24 wrote:
So I disputed a capital one charge off and as of Today it's reflected as collections settled less than full balance I am assuming that is better than having it as charge off correct?

its no better than a CO in the eyes of FICO however it would be a positive to an underwriter manually reviewing your CR.

Message 2 of 11
Bigtonyp24
Contributor

Should I still try to dispute it because the checks that were taken from my bank account where to capitalone not a collection agency?
Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Bigtonyp24 wrote:
Should I still try to dispute it because the checks that were taken from my bank account where to capitalone not a collection agency?

Post the TL here if you can, redact any personal info on it..

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reporting of a charge-off is totally unrelated to the reporting of a collection.  Your CR can show both.

A charge-off is an internal accounting measure they took.  I am unsure of your basis for dispute of the CO, but unless you show either that they did not take that accounting measure or were not entitled to do so, then they were entitled to report that fact to the CRA.

The fact that they took and reported that accounting action is not negated by subsequent status of the debt, including paid.

Taking a CO does not excuse the debt, and they are entitled to continue collection on the full debt, including referral to a debt collector for assistance.

If they refer for collection, the debt collector is entitled to report their collection. If the debt is paid while they still have collection authority, regardless of the hands thru wich payment passed, they are required to update the amount remaining under their collection authority to $0.  Deletion of the collection is not required, and in fact would be contrary to the CRA policy that deletion should not be made based on payment of the debt.  Any deletion by the debt collector of their reported collection would be entirely voluntary on their part, and could be pursued by way of a good-will request.  If having paid thru the OC deprived them of fees, that might not foster much good will on their part.

When paid, the OC is also required to update the current balance of debt now owed to them as $0.

Whether they reference the last status as being charged-off or referred for collection is kind\a immaterial.  The charge-off and collection referral, as well as the debt collector's reporting of the actual collection on their part, remain of record in the consumer's credit file unless they specifically report its deletion.

As for impact, it is up to FICO to determine if and how having both reportings impacts their scoring.  It could well be that they consider both to be equal in impact, and dont score as a double impact, but I have never seen a clear pronoucement by FICO on how they score the combiined impact when both are reported.

As for manual review, the perception of either is up to the reviewer. 

A charge-off tells others that a prior crditor made the determination that you were not going to pay the debt. 

A collection tells others that they sought assistace from a third party to attempt to collect the debt.

Personally, I would consider a statement that a consumer is not expected to pay their debt to be more derogatory.

Message 5 of 11
Bigtonyp24
Contributor

so as far as it goes for me. my experian report updated to being paid in collections rather than being a charge off. and it is showing a $0 on the account. this has to be better than having a charge off like you guys said for manuel review. i cant wait to get my scores improved they have improved a lot since i got my student loans showing current at this time. now i have to get some lates removed and i am happy that i got it showing as collections and not a charge off for my capital one credit card

Message 6 of 11
polno1234
Contributor

ill help you understand. a charge off is a charge off is a charge off. no matter what you do it is a charge off on your report unless you can get the entire tradeline deleted from your report.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 7 of 11
Bigtonyp24
Contributor

It's not reporting as a charge off wouldn't I benefit that it's no longer a charge off?
Message 8 of 11
polno1234
Contributor

it is still a charge off. depending on where you got you report from (some are not detailed well) it will still say charge off. it is reporting as account settled was charge off. that is why fico doesnt care. because it is still a charge off. still looks good for manual review.

Current MERRICK SECURED-$200 EMBLEM MC-$250 EXPRESS NEXT-$350
In the garden till 10/9/14
Fico 8 start 02/15/13 488
Current TU Fico 8 641, EX 734 EQ 740
Goal 650 by 02/15/15
Message 9 of 11
Bigtonyp24
Contributor

it is stated as paid in collections

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.