Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge offs and Judgments

tag
ksugator

Charge offs and Judgments

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I came across some financial trouble a few years ago. We are trying to clean things up now. Who do I contact to settle a judgement that has been filed by Discover for my husband? How do I find that information? Will they accept a settlement?

I have several COs. Two questions - 1- Can they report a CO every month? 2 - What is the best way to pay off a CO?

We are about to enter a lease-option for 2 years - so we want to fix as much as we can now.

Thank you!

ksugator

Me - TU 487  EQ -470

Him - TU 500 EQ 532

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge offs and Judgments

Hi ksugator,

Welcome to the forums.

I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Abuse to a Moderator” link to asking the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Abuse to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.

--Marinevietvet, myFICO moderator

Message 2 of 5
ksugator

Thank you! I appreciate it!
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@ksugator wrote:

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I came across some financial trouble a few years ago. We are trying to clean things up now. Who do I contact to settle a judgement that has been filed by Discover for my husband? How do I find that information? Will they accept a settlement?

I have several COs. Two questions - 1- Can they report a CO every month? 2 - What is the best way to pay off a CO?

We are about to enter a lease-option for 2 years - so we want to fix as much as we can now.

Thank you!

ksugator

Me - TU 487  EQ -470

Him - TU 500 EQ 532

For Discover, you can look up the court records to see if Discover is listed as the plaintiff. If they are, you can contact them. I recommend you get any settlement offer in writing.

For COs, they can report a balance and they can report every single month with a new late up to the point you pay it or they sell it. If a CO is reporting there are one of two things you can do to satify the debt and to make your report look more favorable. First, you can send a PFD if they are reporting a balance. If they agree, then they'll respond in writing stating such. You'd pay it and they'll delete. Just becareful about doing PFDs to your oldest accounts; losing the length of hsitory can result in an additional ding. The other way is to pay it. After receipt of payment and after they update to $0, then you can send off some GW letters requesting they get rid of the CO mention and to get rid of some lates. Some creditors don't accept PFDs, but always worth a shot.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When the OC reports a CO, the only date that is really relevant to credit reporting is the DOFD on the OC account.  The date of reporting of the CO itself is relevant only in that is the time after which it posts to your CR, and thus begins to hurt your crdit score.

An upaid CO, like any reporting of delinquency or derog on a debt, has an SOL running on the debt itself.  In most states, that will probably be the same as the DOFD, but it could vary under your individual state civil code.  I mention SOL first because whatever path you take to pay the debt, the OC always has its own recourse to bring legal action.  If the SOL on the debt has not expired, you would be left without an SOL expiration defense in court.

When an OC does a CO, yes, every month thereafter, they can report the CO status to the CRA.  That does not really "update" anything.  It is just an annoying but proper reiteration of their prior reporting.

There is no "best" way to pay a CO.  If "best" means avioding legal action and you are still within SOL, this might mean doing aPIF.

If "best" additionally means CR deletion, then you can try a PFD, knowing the risk that if you are still within SOL, this has its peril. You could also take the less risky but probably more uncertain path of doing a PIF, and then relying on a GW deletion after payment.

It is a personal risk vs benefit decision.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.