Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge offs/collections good will

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge offs/collections good will

Can you good will charge offs accounts that are marked on cr as paid after charge off/collection? Or accounts that marked as bad debt collections with 0 balance?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charge offs/collections good will

Yes. The OC sold the debt (assuming it wasn't paid) and they don't care who or when you paid. It's out of their hands. The only option on a CO at $0 is to GW.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge offs/collections good will

In my opinion, the good-will of a creditor after a charge-off would logically depend upon their current level of total loss.

When they do a charge-off, they communicate their opinion, at least to the IRS, that they now consider the debt "uncollectible."

Hardly a glowing opinion of your probability of repaying legitimate debt.

Providing they write the now uncollectible debt off as a business loss and obtain a tax break from the IRS, they recoup a portion of the loss.

If they then sell the debt, they can recoup a little more.  But still a net loss.

If they retain ownership, and you later pay them, then you could offset all of their prior loss by a PIF, or only a portion by settling for less.

So, when all the dust settles, I would bet that they know what their net loss, if any, was.  Did you PIF, or settle for less?

I would presume that might be a factor in their feeling of good-will.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.