Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge offs

tag
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Charge offs

I have 5 charged off credit cards (Long period of unemployment, plus deadbeat boyfriend stealing from me).  One is first premier, one is Chase, and three are cap one.  Where do I start?  Who do I contact first?  Will I get them to update it to pays as agreed?

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge offs

A charge-off is made when a delinquency reaches the stage where it is determined that the consumer is not likely to pay the debt. 

The account is almost invariably closed at that point, so paymenet is not going to result in update to pays as agreed.

Taking a CO does not relieve the consumer of continued obligation for the full debt.  It is a required accounting measure.

If the consumer pays a deliquent debt, the current status is updated to paid.

However, the prior derogatory status of charged-off is retained under a code called the Payment Rating, and the reporting of the CO is also retained under the Payment History Profile.  Payment does not remove the reported CO from the consumer's credti report or from scoing.

You then have a closed account that no longer has a current delinquency status, but still retains the derog reporting.

While paying the debt wont help your score, it satisfies the debt, thus removing the possibility of further damage.

If still within SOL, the creditor can sue an attempt to obtain a judgment.

The creditor can refer the delinquent debt to a debt collector, or sell the debt, either of which is likely to result in the addition of a collection to your credit report.

Finally, unpaid delinquent debt alone, regardless of score, can be a reason for denial of any new credit.

How old is the debt, as reflected by your date of first delinquency on the accounts that were charged-off?

That is a primary factor in determining next steps......

Message 2 of 6
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

First date of delinquency isn't listed - last payments are as follows:

October 2014 

June 2013

December 2013

(the Cap Ones)

January 2014 - Chase

February 2011- first premier

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The DOFD is of primary importance, as it determines the ultimate credit report exclusion date, and also most likely sets the date of running of your state SOL on the debt.

The creditor is required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to have reported the DOFD to the CRA within 90 days after reporting of their charge-off, so it must be in your credit file.

If your commerical credit report does not provide the DOFD, then check your free report from annualcreditreport.com, which should provide that reporting.

Message 4 of 6
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Ok - got it.

July 2010 for First Premier - removal in 2017

The others won't be removed until 2021.  I guess start with those?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the SOL in your state?

Those that are outside of SOL have less peril, as they can no longer obtain a judgment.

However, those with a later exclusion date have longer to continue to affect your score.

If you plan on paying, then SOL is not of high concern.

However, if you are only considering paying if they grant a deletion, then contacting them while still within SOL may be of concern.

There are no hard and fast rules regarding how to handle.

A lot depends upon your individual situation......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.