Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge offs

If I begin to make payments on charge offs that are being reported as a negative monthly, would this further hurt my scores? Myfico simulators show score improvement. Are these simulators at all accurate?
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge offs

When an account is derogatory and the creditor or debt collector updates, it advises that the account remains delinquent up to that date.

Yes, that affects scoring.  It effectively extends the date of your period of delinquency.

Once it reaches paid, the account is no longer delinquent, and it begins to age in scoring impact

The charge-off will, of course, become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from DOFD, so will thereafter have no adverse scoring impact.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

To RobertEG's point - it's important to make sure they report the correct paid in full date. I paid a CO in full and they did not report it as PAID for another 2 months. (I made a single payment so it was easy for me to prove date of payment)
Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Nice point that can be overlooked. That is very imortant to keep track of when it was paid.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.