cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge or credit? and PFD a closed bank CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge or credit? and PFD a closed bank CC?

Hello everyone, recently got interested in the credit score game and luckily, being previously 100% ignorant, had no prior screw ups. Theres a ton of good information on these boards and I'm on my way to building a good credit profile.

My wife, on the other hand, says she doesn't 'believe' in the usefulness of credit or the importance of credit scores(we're still young and dumb, when it comes mortgage time she'll understand why people stress over this stuff!). I opened a CreditKarma account with her information just to get an idea of where her credit history is.

Kohl's Charge account - 300 limit unused for 2 years
Kay Jewelers account - 400 limit unused for 2 years
Weisfield Jewelers account - closed due to 2 years inactivity
USBank Credit Card - closed by consumer with $441 balance, 300 limit

and 2 utility bills in collections

And a bunch of denied Sterling inquiries. Apparently she just accepted CC offers for discounts at the register before I met her, bah!

She had no idea about the Kohl's or Kay cards. We recently went in to Kohl's, got her account number from their CS desk, and used it to update her info, order a new card, and make a small purchase which we immediately PIF'd. While updating her account info I hit the CLI button and they raised her limit to $700. Cool. We plan on doing the same thing with her Kay Jeweler card.

So I have 2 questions:
1. The Kohl's and Kay cards both report on CK as 'charge' accounts. Does this mean they are traditional 'charge' cards like AMEX(IE PIF every month)? I did a bit of searching on here and google and it looks like Kohl's and Kay only offer CREDIT accounts. I checked my own CK report and my 2 CC's report as 'Credit Card'.

2. I plan on sending PFD letters for the 2 utility bills. Is it normal to ask a bank for PFD(USBank in this instance)? Should I just pay the outstanding balance and settle for that?

Thank you for any and all input, and thank you for teaching me so much from past posts!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charge or credit? and PFD a closed bank CC?

Is the US Bank account delinquent, or is it still being paid on time?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

USBank account has been closed several years. Its reporting as Closed by Consumer, but it still has a balance of 441 (with limit of 300) thats reporting monthly.
Message 3 of 4
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think those first 2 are probably credit, not chsrge as you stated. Sending gw on the utilities is a good idea. On the USBank, either way, I'd pay that off, as I think it still has an effect on her utilization. I'd try for the PFD on it first, but pay it down if that doesn't work. Then you try sending a GW deletion letter.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.