cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off 1099-c

tag

Charged off 1099-c

Hello,

I have a charged off account on my report that will age off at the end of the year. I was thinking about doing a PFD to get it off sooner. Although I am not sure if it would even be possible since I received a 1099-c for it about 4 years ago and claimed it as taxable income on my tax return. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Starting Score: 561EQ,560TU,559EX
Current Score: 561EQ,560TU,559EX
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Charged off 1099-c

@learningfrommymistakes wrote:

Hello,

I have a charged off account on my report that will age off at the end of the year. I was thinking about doing a PFD to get it off sooner. Although I am not sure if it would even be possible since I received a 1099-c for it about 4 years ago and claimed it as taxable income on my tax return. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Was it from the original creditor or a collection agency and was it a credit card?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When they took and reported the charge-off, that did not excuse the debt.  It remained due, and they could continue to pursue full collection.

However, if they sent a 1099c, that is their statement that they have subsequently cancelled the debt. 

Being as there is no more debt, a pay for delete would not be appropriate.

Recourse would be to send them a good-will request for deletion of any negative reporting that remains in your credit report.

That may be a tough sell, as they have taken a loss on the debt.  That may not foster an atmosphere of good-will, but give it a go!

Message 3 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

What if someone wanted to repay a debt was 1099C. Would the creditor even accept it because and can they "reverse" a 1099C

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont know how they would include it in their accounting ledger as a received asset with no associated buinsess transaction related to its receipt.

Since they previously charge-off the debt and thus claimed a tax writeoff as a non-receivable asset, they would most likely have some re-accounting to do with IRS if it therafter became a recieved asset. 

Possibly as a charitable donation not associated with the prior debt?

Message 5 of 7

@sjt wrote:

@learningfrommymistakes wrote:

Hello,

Was it from the original creditor or a collection agency and was it a credit card?

Yes it was the OC for a credit card.

Message 6 of 7

@RobertEG wrote:

When they took and reported the charge-off, that did not excuse the debt.  It remained due, and they could continue to pursue full collection.

However, if they sent a 1099c, that is their statement that they have subsequently cancelled the debt. 

Being as there is no more debt, a pay for delete would not be appropriate.

Recourse would be to send them a good-will request for deletion of any negative reporting that remains in your credit report.

That may be a tough sell, as they have taken a loss on the debt.  That may not foster an atmosphere of good-will, but give it a go!

Thank you GW letter it will be. I have a few of those to write up so might as well add them to the list. Thank you

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.