Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off 1099'ed account reporting late

tag
nycfico
Regular Contributor

Charged off 1099'ed account reporting late

I have an old charged off account with JPMC; it is scheduled to fall off my reports next September.

I originally owed $30k on this account.  After it charged off, I made payments of $500 a month towards it and got the balance down to $20k.  Suddenly, they issued a 1099 and said they would no longer pursue collections, which triggered a tax liability.  I didn't want that outcome as I take pride in paying back what I owe, but that was their decision.  I paid the tax liability.

The issue now is that it continues to report as 'late' and I have something like 75 90 day lates on my Equifax report.  Equifax is also reflecting these as if they are recent late payments.  It also says I owe the $20k...which I know is a grey area of sorts.  Since they 1099'ed it, they aren't collecting but technically I still owe it.

First, I thought that once an account was charged off, no more payments would be considered 'late'.  Secondly, I'm concerend that they might still try to sue me..if it's still showing as late and having owed money...what's to stop them from suing?

What can I do to resolve this?   Any ideas?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Charged off 1099'ed account reporting late

A CO is an accounting term.  It just means that on their books they've written the receivable off.  That has no bearing on the collectiblity of the debt.  You need to look into whether they can continue to pursue you after they've sent you a 1099.

Message 2 of 9
nycfico
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A CO is an accounting term.  It just means that on their books they've written the receivable off.  That has no bearing on the collectiblity of the debt.  You need to look into whether they can continue to pursue you after they've sent you a 1099.

Okay...but if they cancelled the debt and then I paid taxes on that cacelled debt...how is it that they can still list it as owed debt?

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The derogs are unaffected and remain.

However. the current balance should have prompptly been updated to $0, not based on the charge-off, but based on their cancellation of the debt and your subsequent payment of taxes on the amount as "income."

Message 4 of 9
nycfico
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The derogs are unaffected and remain.

However. the current balance should have prompptly been updated to $0, not based on the charge-off, but based on their cancellation of the debt and your subsequent payment of taxes on the amount as "income."

I disupted this a while ago and they confirmed it.  In fact, that's when the late payments started showing up.  How can I get them to update to $0?  And while the derogs remain, would it still show as late every month if the balance is $0?  I realize the old derogs will stay, but shouldn't they stop adding new ones if the balance is zeroed out?

Message 5 of 9
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Complain with bbb and cfpb. Against jpm and cra's. Provide 1099 and charge off notice scans.
Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 9
AutoBot
Established Contributor

I realize this is kind of an old thread, but I wonder if the OP ever got the balance reported to $0 and if so how.

Message 7 of 9
nycfico
Regular Contributor

@AutoBot wrote:

I realize this is kind of an old thread, but I wonder if the OP ever got the balance reported to $0 and if so how.

No, I never did.  It's supposed to fall off this upcoming September anyway and I didn't want to spend a lot of cycles on it since it's going to be gone soon.

Message 8 of 9
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Thanks for the update.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.