Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off account

tag
Will50
Established Member

Charged off account

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could give me advice.  I have an account reported as negative on my CR.  I opened it in 2002 and was late 30-60 days several times.  I paid in full or so I thought in 2005, not realizing that there was a balance of 25 CENTS left on the account.  I never got a letter, a bill, a phone call, and when I discovered that the account was charged off, I called them, was told that I still owed 25 cents, so I took them the quarter.  Now it is still on my CR as a chargeoff.  How should I go about having this removed?  thanks for any help that you can give.

Starting Score: EQ 638 TU 598
Current Score: EQ 667 TU 628
Goal Score: EQ 700 TU 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: Charged off account

I would try disputing the account with the CRAs and see if it just comes off.  If it doesn't then I would try a GW letter to the CA and see if they are willing to take it off.
I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, all you can do is to send a GW if paid. Point out the balance in your letter. I wouldn't dispute because some creditors have been known to add lates where there were none before or update the reporting in such a way as to drop your score.

newstart2010 wrote:
I would try disputing the account with the CRAs and see if it just comes off.  If it doesn't then I would try a GW letter to the CA and see if they are willing to take it off.

Talking about disputing accurate info violates our Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines, Terms of Service, and User Guidelines that prohibit the promotion of certain types of credit repair.

Message 3 of 6
Will50
Established Member

Thank you!  and would I write the GW letter to the CRA or to the original creditor?

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

GW letters only go to the creditor....to the one reporting.
Message 5 of 6
Will50
Established Member

Thanks! I will work on that today!  I appreciate the advice. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.