cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged-off in collections, still reporting 90 day's (27 times!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged-off in collections, still reporting 90 day's (27 times!)

Is this normal? I have a CC that charged off over two years ago. It went to collections pretty much right away and I just noticed on here that it shows CO in the calendar but then it shows 27 90-day lates reporting all the way up to March (I'm assuming April and May just haven't reported yet?). 

Is this right? I have another CC that charged-off and it stopped reporting 90-days right when it did. If this isn't right, what do I do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Charged-off in collections, still reporting 90 day's (27 times!)

Taking and reporting a charge-off is distinct from the current level of delinquency.  It is an accounting measure.

The account remains delinquent, and can contnue to accrue delinquencies.

Many creditors will cease reporting the continued accrual of additional delinquencies after reporting a CO, but are not required to do so.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Taking and reporting a charge-off is distinct from the current level of delinquency.  It is an accounting measure.

The account remains delinquent, and can contnue to accrue delinquencies.

Many creditors will cease reporting the continued accrual of additional delinquencies after reporting a CO, but are not required to do so.

Thanks Robert. But I don't really have payments anymore as the balance in full is demanded. If it is still accruing 90-day's would making a few payments make that stop, or is the only way to get it to stop getting them to pay it off completely? I am capable of doing so but it is about 2 months from the SOL and after that just 2 years until it would drop. I'm worried about paying it and it making things worse and from everything I've read it says if it is this late to just let it sit.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they are reporting continued 90-lates, they are not incrementing the level of reported account deliquency, but rather only reporting the fact that is reached at least 90-late.

It is still a delinquency account, with the level of delinquency being at least 90 days from the first date of default.

Two things will stop reporting of current delinquecy.

One, the debt is paid, thus removing the account from current deliquency.

Two, they sell the debt, removing any debt owed to them.  They would then update the debt balance to $0.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.