Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chargeoffs and wage garnishment in CA

tag
mbzchickie
New Visitor

Chargeoffs and wage garnishment in CA

I live in CA and have let my cards go delinquent, I have settled 3 cards and 2 were charged off because I didn't call and make arrangements w/ them in time. I am married and afraid if the the creditors (would take the time to) sue me ( I owe $2500.00 on 1 card and $4400.00 on the other), will they garnish my wages or make my husband pay them back? I want to settle w/ them but do not have the means to at this time.  I've called one creditor and they wanted the payment in full, I told them I couldn't and they noted in their system that I refused to pay. I just couldn't afford the payment.

is my husband protected from my bad judgments and any advice on how to settle for less than you owe w/ creditors on charged off accounts?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Chargeoffs and wage garnishment in CA

If these are not joint accounts, unless you live in a community property state, he would not be held liable for them.  There is a bigger chance in a community property state for both spouses to be sued.  I would look up the laws in CA if it is a community property state.

In order for them to garnish your wages they would first have to get a judgment against you.  If you do get a summons make sure you appear in court or they win by default.  You do not want that.

When is the last time you made a payment?  CC debt SOL is 4 years in CA.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.