Contributor
tipofthespork

Charging interest on CO

Can an OC continue charging interest on an account that has been charged off?

I thought I read somewhere that because of the tax credit, they could still collect principal but not interest on it.

Original amount CO was $3500 may 2007. Now it's $8100 June 2012.

Legal?

Starting Score: 574(may 2012)
Current Score: 574
Goal Score: 640 (to start)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
pizzadude

Re: Charging interest on CO

tipofthespork wrote:
Can an OC continue charging interest on an account that has been charged off?

I thought I read somewhere that because of the tax credit, they could still collect principal but not interest on it.

Original amount CO was $3500 may 2007. Now it's $8100 June 2012.

Legal?

It is legal, but it should be spelled out in the original loan/credit card agreement in terms of what additional interest/attorney or collections fees can be added.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Contributor
tipofthespork

Long story short I BELIEVE my ex-wife took this loan out in my name (I certainly don't recall doing it). It was all online, so I requested a copy of the original contract. I got it today and it's very vague. It doesn't have ANY signatures on it and doesn't state anything about fees or interest after charge off. It does make sure to state that this contract is under Nevada law.

Starting Score: 574(may 2012)
Current Score: 574
Goal Score: 640 (to start)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
RobertEG

Either your contract or another provision of your state law that defines fees that can be collected will determine the legal obligation.

I would consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+