Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging interest on CO

tag
tipofthespork
Contributor

Charging interest on CO

Can an OC continue charging interest on an account that has been charged off?

I thought I read somewhere that because of the tax credit, they could still collect principal but not interest on it.

Original amount CO was $3500 may 2007. Now it's $8100 June 2012.

Legal?

Starting Score: 574(may 2012)
Current Score: 574
Goal Score: 640 (to start)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Charging interest on CO

@tipofthespork wrote:
Can an OC continue charging interest on an account that has been charged off?

I thought I read somewhere that because of the tax credit, they could still collect principal but not interest on it.

Original amount CO was $3500 may 2007. Now it's $8100 June 2012.

Legal?

It is legal, but it should be spelled out in the original loan/credit card agreement in terms of what additional interest/attorney or collections fees can be added.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
tipofthespork
Contributor

Long story short I BELIEVE my ex-wife took this loan out in my name (I certainly don't recall doing it). It was all online, so I requested a copy of the original contract. I got it today and it's very vague. It doesn't have ANY signatures on it and doesn't state anything about fees or interest after charge off. It does make sure to state that this contract is under Nevada law.

Starting Score: 574(may 2012)
Current Score: 574
Goal Score: 640 (to start)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Either your contract or another provision of your state law that defines fees that can be collected will determine the legal obligation.

I would consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.