Did you mean: 

Charter Communication / Spectrum Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charter Communication / Spectrum Help

Hey All,

Any advice appreciated on this matter:

I helped out a buddy of mine with a sub account for time warner / spectrum.

He closed the account sometime last year but last week I got hit on my credit report that the account had a balance that went into collections. $190. I paid Specturm directly instore the following day. I called and spoke to a rep that promised the account would be removed from my credit report.

I called today and followed up and another employee told me they could only report it as paid and I would have to take it up with the collections company at this point to have it removed.

I am devisitated to say the least. I've been working really hard on my fico, any advice on next steps?

Is it worth it to still send a DV and Credit Bureau letter still. Anyone have a simular situation with Charter and what did they do?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Charter Communication / Spectrum Help

@Anonymouswrote:

Hey All,

He closed the account sometime last year but last week I got hit on my credit report that the account had a balance that went into collections. $190. I paid Specturm directly instore the following day. I called and spoke to a rep that promised the account would be removed from my credit report.

I called today and followed up and another employee told me they could only report it as paid and I would have to take it up with the collections company at this point to have it removed.

I am devisitated to say the least. I've been working really hard on my fico, any advice on next steps?

Is it worth it to still send a DV and Credit Bureau letter still. Anyone have a simular situation with Charter and what did they do?

Thanks in advance.

If they said they would recall the collection (this gets it dropped) and have failed to follow thru then a BBB complaint against them is in order. A DV isnt going to do much at this point. Welcome to the board.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thank you, @gdale6. it was on a phone call would that still hold weight?

@gdale6wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Hey All,

Thanks in advance.

If they said they would recall the collection (this gets it dropped) and have failed to follow thru then a BBB complaint against them is in order. A DV isnt going to do much at this point. Welcome to the board.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You obtained bad/misinformed advice from their rep.

A creditor cannot enter into any valid contract that requires a third party to do something.

A PFD would have to have been agreed to by the debt collector to have established any valid agreement.

A DV is useless, as there is no longer any debt to request validation.

A letter to the credit bureau requesting deletion would be directly contrary to published CRA policy that a collection should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

Pursuit of deletion of the collection is now by way of good-will request sent to the reporting debt collector.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charter definitely can contact the CA and request the debt be removed from the CRAs. Reach out to anyone in their Credit Services Recoveries department or find the contact information for one of their Corporate Customer Escalation Advocates and email them, and I am sure you will get someone who can help you. You do not even need to call them, although, they may call you to at least confirm a few things with you over the phone.

These are the people that can do what you are wanting to be done; which is have the CA remove the debt from your report(s). Be sure to mention that the account was paid, and that you are requesting that they consider your request to have the collection removed. If you can get them to entertain the idea, then what they will do is submit their own personal request to the CA informing them that the debt is no longer owed, and they will request it be removed on your behalf. Remember, this is a pretty big "favor" they would be doing for you that they absolutely have no reason to do other than your request to do so. Keep this in mind at all times, and be very grateful to them from start to finish. In the end (if you convince them) is that they should then be able to provide you with a letter from the CA indicating that the debt will be removed.

I went through this a few months back for a really old account on my wife's report. The entire process took 2 days via email from the time I first contacted them to the time I had the letter from the CA stating they would remove the debt. About 2 weeks later it fell off all reports. This was a debt that was no longer theirs, and they did not recall it. If who you speak with cannot help you, or tells you it is not possible for them to do this do not give up on it, because they can, and they have done this.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you@credit_addict do you have a contact or number for their credit service recoveries dept? the billing # is just giving me the runaround.

or their customer esclation advocates? I will google now but any info you can share from your experience would be appreciated.

thanks again for sharing your story, i've been bummed all day but this is giving me some hope.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent you a PM. Don't get discouraged. Charter definitely is one of the more responsive, and 'willing to help' companies I have dealt with over the years. I wish you luck with getting the outcome you are hoping for.

Message 7 of 9
gallegos1982

Hello,

Sorry to hijack an old thread. Does anyone of the responders here have an email for spectrum that works? I cant get a response from any email.

TIA

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit_Addict. Can you shoot me those contacts at Charter Communications. I have nearly the same issue as the person you responded to in regards to charter/spectrum
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.