Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CC was CO then default judgement?

tag
labeledjl
New Contributor

Chase CC was CO then default judgement?

I had an account with chase that was charged off they took me to court won default judgment as i didn't know of the court date.  I paid of judgment went to recorders office and have the release of judment paper and recorded record paper.  Chase is still reporting a balance on the account as i settled for less on the judgment but is it right that CHASE is marking the account which was closed as of 2009 late every month since then up until now how can they mark a closed account late if I can't pay on it?  This is bringning my score down.  As the judgment is listed paid.  The original Chase account is listed as charge off with a remaing balance of the difference from which i settled and late every month since 2009.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
labeledjl
New Contributor

Re: Chase CC was CO then default judgement?

basically are they able to report like that late every month since 2009 for a closed account?

Message 2 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, legally they cannot report like that.  Settled is paid.  Period.  They should not be reporting the deficiency amount and trying to collect on that.

First I would do a direct dispute with them (sticky for direct dispute template in rebuilding) and include all of your paper work and ask them to correct the TL.  If they do not respond within the required 30 days, or refuse to correct,  file a complaint with the FTC and the CFPB.

Message 3 of 14
DaBears
Senior Contributor

settlement is a settlement. I would send them a direct dispute. 

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might be beneficial to also include the blurb

This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b)

(don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under that identifying account)

Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or  regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines?  Account not yours? etc.)

Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include, as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing  that it appeared in your credit report)

Message 4 of 14
labeledjl
New Contributor

so since it was charged off in 2009 and closed in the same year so the late pays should stop there regardless of the balance owed.  I didn't get the judgement till 2011 then paid it. but the left over amount from the amount i settled on is still listed on the balance on OC Chase account along with all late pays to June of 2013 im guessing next month is another late too.

Message 5 of 14
labeledjl
New Contributor

Also thank you very much for responding to my ?'s this is a great community and very helpful.

Message 6 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with guiness and dabears 100%.

This debt was satisfied.  It doesn't matter "HOW" it was satisfied.  There is no more debt, so how could it be late?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@labeledjl wrote:

so since it was charged off in 2009 and closed in the same year so the late pays should stop there regardless of the balance owed.  I didn't get the judgement till 2011 then paid it. but the left over amount from the amount i settled on is still listed on the balance on OC Chase account along with all late pays to June of 2013 im guessing next month is another late too.

No, if it remained unpaid until 2011 they could report lates until it was paid.

Who did the settlement, the attorney or Chase?  Does Chase still own the debt?

Message 8 of 14
labeledjl
New Contributor

Chase is OC still listed on Credit Report.  Attorney they hired never listed anything on credit report, judgement was put in at default in 2011.

Message 9 of 14
labeledjl
New Contributor

the attorney was in court representing Chase im guessing so chase still owns the debt then im guessing?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.