Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Charge Off help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Charge Off help

Hello I am looking for some guidance regarding my credit report and a Chase credit card debt.

Chase charged off a $1433 credit card balance that I was unable to pay and apparently has now sent me to a collection agency called Northstar Location Service. I received a letter a few days ago stating Northstar is willing to settle for $683. However from reading this board and some research on this company it appears I'm better off calling Chase directly. Northstar seems shady and if I pay them it won't help my credit record change.

I'm new at this and not sure what is the best course of action to settle the debt and get the charge to appear as paid off on my credit report.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Charge Off help

You can try calling the OC and trying to negotiate with them, but they may or may not work with you.

First, if they have sold the debt to the debt collector, you cannot make any payment to them, and would be required to deal only with the debt collector.

Second, many credtiors, once having assigned collection to a debt collector, wont talk with you, and require that all negotiations/payments be done by way of the debt collector.

Call and ask.

Regarding the possible advantages, regardless of your view of the debt collector, of dealing with them, only the debt collector has control over their own credit reporting.

The OC cannot prevent a debt collector from reporting their collection, and once reported, cannot require a debt collector to delete their reporting.

By dealing with the debt collector, you may be able to prevent them from reporting, and if they do report, pursuade them to delete their reporting in exchange for payment.

I am unsure what you are attempting to gain by dealing directly with the OC, unless you have tried dealing with the debt collector, and cannot get a favorable result.

Message 2 of 4
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

Oopsigoofed - I'll pm you Chase Recovery Dept info.  If they still own the debt they may be able to help you.  They had my acct after 4 yrs of no payment, and I have a payment plan with now. 

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 3 of 4
hopefulKT
New Contributor

good I also get the Chase recovery dept info? Thanks Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 559 (June12)
TU 651 (spouse) (June12)
November12 score (Equifax myfico):
Me: 646
Spouse: 691
Getting ready to close on our first home Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.