Chase Checking Account Charge Off Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Checking Account Charge Off Question

Account was overdrawn $30.

Next day charged $35 overdraft fee.

Week later $15 late fee.

Been 3 months, ignored it. Im willing to pay the initial $30 but I'm not paying for the fees. I've gotten 2 letters reminding me of said debt, on the 2nd letter said along the lines something about being reported to Chex Systems etc.
If the debt goes unpaid.

I've dished out alot of money to chase over their $35 overdraft fees, so I moved to Wells Fargo, got my checking and savings account with them.

Back to the pending debt at Chase, Just noticed the account has been closed, what now?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Checking Account Charge Off Question

I know you feel that you should not have to pay the fees but you needed to handle this three months ago.  For whatever reason you didn't pay the amount overdrawn and you didn't pay the overdraft fee.  Whatever bank you choose you need to be on top of your account balance.  All of them have tricks to how they show your deposits and withdrawals.  I think you should pay what is owed before this winds up ruining your credit.  It may hurt your pride now but think about the damage it will do if you don't pay it.  

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I advise you to go to a branch sit down with the manager and work it out so it is a closed issue. This could also end up on your CR as a CO.

Message 3 of 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree you should sit down with a banker at chase.  They also may have reported your co account to chexsystems, which makes it impossible to open up another bank account who pulls a chex report.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Honestly, I think you should just pay the fees and move on. It might be worth it to go to a branch and talk to a banker and try to setlle the amount (they might be willing to take something off the top). This sort of thing tends to haunt people years later and you don't want a CO on your CRs (they may report to them as well) and Chex. I don't know much about Wells Fargo but I wouldn't be surprised if they could/would close your account if they see a baddie pop up on Chex. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.