cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase - Goodwill adjustment for a charge-off from 2010?

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Chase - Goodwill adjustment for a charge-off from 2010?

Greetings.  I'm new here, and I'm looking for some advice on what action to take on a few bad items on my credit report.

The first I'm trying to deal with is a Chase Visa that was charged off as a bad debt and trasferred in June 2010 with a balance under $10,000.  I eventually settled with the debt collector.  Ideally, I'd like to get the delinquency and charge off removed as a goodwill adjustment (the account had never been delinquent prior to the delinquency), but absent that, I'd like to get the whole trade line deleted from my report.

I've sent a letter to the address on my credit report, and tonight I sent an e-mail to the executive office, both requesting a goodwill adjustment.  A few searches of the forum indicate that a lot of people on here have had success getting goodwill adjustments from Chase.  I'd appreciate any advice or insight.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
heckofagator
Valued Member

Re: Chase - Goodwill adjustment for a charge-off from 2010?

I've heard that the debt must be paid in full for them to do an adjustment/deletion.

That being said, I had a mortage with them that's paid off but has a 180 late.  I've sent 3 GW letters and all times have received a response that they don't do GW adjustments or deletions.  Guess maybe its the luck of the draw or something else, but they were very stern with me that this was their final decision.

Message 2 of 41
m29
Regular Contributor

I sent you a PM! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 8/30/11 EQ 520 TU98 593
Current Score: LO Pull 3/5/12 EQ 659 TU04 652 EX 649
LO Pull 5/26/12 EQ 656 TU04 668 EX 651
Goal Score: 700 by 12/30/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 41
sjt
Senior Contributor

Question: If Chase (or any other creditor) transferred the debt to a collection agency chances are they sold it to that collection agency. Even if you paid the collection agency in full for the debt, the Chase would still have a lost. So why would they grant a goddwill?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 41
2NE1
Established Contributor

I'll tell you why, because we're human beings and make mistakes, but we should be allowed to make changes and given a second chance. I'm pretty sure a large percentage of us fell into debt not on purpose, there had to be an understandable reason, sometimes a life changing event. Also, if a company takes into consideration your GW request, you're most likely to do business with them again in the future (at least that's the way I see it).

Chase has been wonderful helping me throughout my rebuilding process. I used to have WAMU and Chevy Chase cards that were bought by Chase and went into CO status. One I finished paying it off in full, the other was sold to collections, so yes Chase did loose money but they didn't use that excuse to reject my GW request at all. I did not EVEN PAY the CA in full and they ALSO granted me my GW request.

I'm thankful that Chase has given me the chance to start fresh with them. I'll make sure to apply to one of their products in the future. They sure have an amazing customer service! Smiley Very Happy

Good luck OP! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 41
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

sjt - That's a good question.  Honestly, before I started researching the process of rebuilding/rehabilitating credit, it would have never occurred to me that a lender would remove a negative credit item just because the consumer requested it.  But, I was encouraged to learn that lenders are willing to do this, and especially that Chase seems more willing than most.

I certainly don't claim to be deserving of or entitled to a goodwill adjustment from Chase, but Chase has nothing to lose by making it, and, as the name implies, they have an opportunity to generate some goodwill. 

Message 6 of 41
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One reason why a creditor might grant a GW deletion is if they believe whatever led to your prior delinquencies has now been overcome, and they want your future business.

GW letters that emphasize "my wife just left me, the roof is a'leakin, the dawg just died, lost my job," etc., may simply reinforce a perception of risk.

However, demonstrating that those conditions have been overcome begins to paint a new picture of lower risk.

They are capitalists.  I would tend to view it in terms of what you can offer them.

Charge-offs are a very good example.  In doing a CO, they made an official business proclamation that your lack of payment of the debt  reached the stage that they considered it "uncollectible."  That is a serious perception to overcome.

Message 7 of 41
marty56
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

One reason why a creditor might grant a GW deletion is if they believe whatever led to your prior delinquencies has now been overcome, and they want your future business.

LOL BofA has one final shot to do that by June 23rd for TU.  IMHO they are playing chicken with me.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 41
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:
I'll tell you why, because we're human beings and make mistakes, but we should be allowed to make changes and given a second chance. I'm pretty sure a large percentage of us fell into debt not on purpose, there had to be an understandable reason, sometimes a life changing event. Also, if a company takes into consideration your GW request, you're most likely to do business with them again in the future (at least that's the way I see it).

I am not so sure a large percentage of people got into trouble because of life changing events or what have you... I mean, I justify it to myself all the time as to why I have this hard struggle to overcome, but the bottom line is I took on too much debt because it was avail to do, didn't pay my bills, stayed underemployed, toured in a rock band, and although there are plenty of mitigating reasons to why I ended up in debt, the bottom line is, it was my choices that landed me on this forum rebuilding..

I would venture to say a large majority of people became in debt because of choices they made, and many more stay in trouble because they ignore it..

Now that my HJ is over (lol) -- I worked for Chase corporate (well, Bank One corporate, but under Chase current management ect ect) and I agree w/ 2NE1.. Chase usually will work with you, if you get the right people involved..

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 9 of 41
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the input.

RobertEG - I think the factors you cite will help my case.  The root cause of my delinqency (losing my job as a result of the financial collapse in 2008) has been eliminated, and Chase recently granted me an auto loan. 

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.