Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase gw input not sure what happened

tag
Asailorshort
Regular Contributor

Chase gw input not sure what happened

Ok I'm finally getting brave enough to try for a gw for a chase charge off fm 2010 but even after reading multiple samples am still not sure how to best approach the request because of the circumstances. The card in question was opened in 2006. Rarely used except for revolving club fee ($8/mo) automatic charge on it. Anyway when I left Japan in 2008 I closed the club acct. it wasn't until I received a call fm a ca in 2010 that I found out there was even a balance on the card.

Unable to get any real debt validation (only got a letter fm ca stating I owed oc $785) ((I didn't know about dv then)). I eventually settled the acct for $275 and cr now has it as co/legally PIF for less than balance. I recently called and was able to get my 2009 statements (when acct went delinquent) hoping it would help me figure out what happened. Sure enough, the club was still charging my cc the monthly fee and the statement was still being sent to my addy in Japan. Had I received a statement I would have had a chance to contest charge for club in Japan (not that it totally relieves me of responsibility) .

Problem is it appears I used my card once in mar 2009 $29 purchase and I made a payment in apr 2009. (for $100). I also have no idea how my acct wasn't delinquent for the second half of 2008 as I'm sure I didn't pay it. (perhaps it was on a bill pay service thru my bank) I admit I should have been more attentive to my finances. However, I feel that the $275 I already paid for services that I couldn't have used (club was in Japan, I was in California) is enough punishment for my irresponsibility with this acct and don't feel the co is completely justified, as chase never sent a statement to me and the ca they used didn't properly verify the debt even after I requested it. ( I told ca I honestly had no idea where said debt came from and asked if they could send statements or something.

They told me they couldn't give statements, just a letter stating who I owed and how much but not what for). For what it's worth, the ca isn't reporting on my cr as it appears the debt was never sold to the ca. Basically I feel that this co was mostly chase's fault but that doesn't sound very 'goodwill'. Guess i need to work on cleverly drafting a non-accusatory gw letter that states the facts that I didn't get a statement and I was unaware of what charges were for but that I should have been more responsible. Ideas? Feedback? The whole thing pisses me off but I am asking for gw and know I gotta change my tone.

Starting FICO 667 (5/2012) EQ
672 (7/2012) EQ. 681 (8/1/12) EQ
Current FICO 682 (10/13/12) EQ; 718 (10/13/12) TU
Goal: 760+ but 700-720 by jan 2013
No new apps tll jul 2013
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase gw input not sure what happened

If I had that, and I knew the org. balance before settling was mine or could have been mine, I'd write a GW probably no more than 3/4 long with only 2-3 sentences max explaining that I didn't know that there was a balance on the card before moving to Japan (mention for work, school, military, etc.). I'd skip the details. I'd just humble myself knowing that the details are unimportant and that a deletion was the goal. Tell me yes, great. Tell me no, then I'll send another (don't say that).

Now if I thought something was fuzzy or seemed wrong, I'd call them and ask for the 3-4-5 statements from around that time period. I'd tell them that I moved away thinking that it was PIF, but learned otherwise 2 years later when a collection agency contacted me. I'd review the statements and would fight further if I knew they were wrong. Chase does have a history of refunding past fees and interest. They seem to be very good to work with.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.