cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase hard pulled me after my GW conversation!

tag
migo13
Contributor

Chase hard pulled me after my GW conversation!

Sent an email to Chase requesting a GW on two accounts:

1. Chase Credit Card

2. Chase Health Advance

The rep I spoke to was really nice, and said he would look into the credit card for me and get back to me on Wednesday. However, for the health advance he would have to forward my email to retail. Anyways, I get an alert today and the Chase Health Advance people hard pulled my Experian. What the hell?! Can I at least get a Chase Freedom app out of that pull?

Including the inquiry from AMEX yesterday for my Zync, my Experian FAKO dropped 4 points. 651 to 647.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase hard pulled me after my GW conversation!

Are the accounts now closed?  If so, and you no longer have an active business relationship with them, I would assert that they lacked permissible purpose to pull your credit report. 

They would no longer have an "account with the consumer" upon which to base permissible access to your credit report, and a GW request is not an initiation of a request for credit from the consumer.  I dont see a permissible purpose under section 604 for their inquiry.

Message 2 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1 RobertEG   I don't see any reason for a permissable pull.  You were not requesting new credit or a CLI.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 13
migo13
Contributor

Yes, the accounts are now closed. I'm going to wait until the GW responses come back, but after should I dispute it with Experian? How would I go about citing section 604? Would it be better to call or file it online?

Nice score jumps by the way. How long did that take you if you don't mind me asking?

Message 4 of 13
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

Good luck with this! Citibank did a hard pull on me when I called to inquire about opening a joint savings account with my grandmother when I was assuming financial responsibility for her. I was not applying for credit, the account was never opened and the rep, when she advised that she couldn't provide any info without my social, promised up and down in the face of my skepticism that there would be no hard pull of credit. All of this was supposed to be recorded hahaha. I tried to dispute it with the CRA, with no luck. I called and wrote to Citibank, with no luck. Ultimately I finally got it removed after calling their PR people who referred me to a contact with their executive relations team.

Message 5 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Took about a year to hit my current scores.  Experian is a FAKO, actually have no idea what the FICO is on that one.

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a hard pull? I am in the middle of sending GA's to Chase, but not familiar with this term. Trying to put myself in the most knowledgable position possible! Thanks!

Message 7 of 13
migo13
Contributor

It's when a company checks your credit and it ends up showing as an inquirty on your credit report, causing your score to go down. It's to be contrasted with a soft pull, which doesn't harm your credit score.

Message 8 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

RobertEG has a good reply to your question here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Soft-vs-Hard-Pull/m-p/315514/highlight/true#M...

July 2013 score:

Message 9 of 13
migo13
Contributor

Re: Chase hard pulled me after my GW conversation! Update: GW Request for Chase CC Granted!

Got a call from the credit card people today and they are deleting their tradeline! I'm still waiting on a reply from the other department.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.