Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking acct messed up my discover card

tag
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

Re: Checking acct messed up my discover card

I'm thinking what most likely occurred is this:

Payment of $1042 bounced (or came back as "No account", whichever)

Instead of moving money to another account and just paying the $1042, OP let it go and it started accruing late fees and penalties. 

In no mathematical sense would $1042 just magically double to $2084. 

If Discover "automatically" zeroed out your account by instantly crediting the $1042 to your account, when it bounced, you wouldn't suddenly owe $2084 , the zeroed balance would just go back to $1042 plus whatever late & NSF fees they add on. 

Someone, somewhere working at Discover could have fixed the glitch immediately if they were hounded to correct it. It would have been obvious what the issue was. 

However, since it might have been unnoticed for a while, they compounded fees and penalties on top so now, 2 years later, they are not going to suddenly say "Oh yes, we see that issue now, we will fix it with no problem". 

I am still just really baffled by the whole "doubled balance" phenomenon. Maybe someone else can give other insight.

Starting Scores: EQ (MyFico): 561 TU (MyFico): 579 - 2/15/13
Rebuilding Scores: EQ (MyFico): 597 (6/11/13) TU (MyFico): 606 (6/12/13)
Current Scores: EQ : 665 TU : 649 EX : 704

Cards: SDFCU $250 | Cap1 Secured $750 | Victorias Secret $500 | Amex BCE $4k | Chase FU $2k | Cap1 QS $1k | PenFed Promise $3.5k | Wayfair $1k | Care Credit $1k
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

This story sounds like BS, sorry OP.  No bank will magically double the amount you owe overnight.  Even with late fees and interest and all that, $1042 won't magically turn into $2084.

On top of that, I assume once Citibank made the funds available you could have withdrawn cash, deposited into another checking account and paid Discover.

If Discover doubled what you owed, file a complaint with at least the CPFB and any state regulators.  I'd personally sue them pro se in court also -- consumer finance and lending laws protect the consumer strongly and no bank wants a blemish on their record.

Now, if you haven't shared the entire story, then I'd say start from the top with dates for every transation attempt, balances due, etc, so we can understand the time frame.

Discover won't chargeoff an account that's only 30D late.  120D, yes, but if you couldn't pay in 120D then that's your fault, not theirs.  Every bank allows you to PUSH a payment to a credit card.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems like everyone is trying to make sense of something that simply doesn't make sense. If everyone here trully thinks computer systems can't mess up you are mistaken. Clearly the issue here was that the person at Citi told the OP over and over again that the funds could be used right away. This ended up being false and cause the entire issue. I know this happened over two years ago but you should certainly get to the bottom of this now. To me it sounds like Citi messed up and she be held liable for any "damages" to discover. Just my 2cents!

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This story sounds like BS, sorry OP.  No bank will magically double the amount you owe overnight.  Even with late fees and interest and all that, $1042 won't magically turn into $2084.

On top of that, I assume once Citibank made the funds available you could have withdrawn cash, deposited into another checking account and paid Discover.

If Discover doubled what you owed, file a complaint with at least the CPFB and any state regulators.  I'd personally sue them pro se in court also -- consumer finance and lending laws protect the consumer strongly and no bank wants a blemish on their record.

Now, if you haven't shared the entire story, then I'd say start from the top with dates for every transation attempt, balances due, etc, so we can understand the time frame.

Discover won't chargeoff an account that's only 30D late.  120D, yes, but if you couldn't pay in 120D then that's your fault, not theirs.  Every bank allows you to PUSH a payment to a credit card.

+1 ... we're missing some details here. There's no way a 30D late creates a doubled balance. 

Not to mention, by and large, Discover is one of the more friendly customer service banks. That whole late payment forgiveness thing comes to mind ... this doesn't add up

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is hilarious on the phone.  Great folks!

I called after my secured card was approved and funded and said "when is my first statement date?" and they told me.  I asked "will that be EXACTLY what gets reported to the credit bureaus?" and she asks me "are you trying to report less than 9% of your credit limit?"

Hahaha, I guess some of them are among us.  Absolutely love talking to them.  I was traveling on an island in the middle of nothing and tried to use my new Discover card and it was declined even though the restaurant owner swears he accepts those.  So I log into Discover from his laptop and my login gets frozen.  Argh.  So I call them from his landline and got an agent instantly and tell them I am calling internationally at high cost so he goes "great let's get this done as fast as possible" and not even 60 seconds later my card was unfrozen as well as my login and he set up a travel notice (which I realized I can do online for the future).  Phone call was under 2 minutes long and the card charged perfectly right after.

They also follow up in email requesting a review of each call (so far, for me) so that means they're paying attention.  

Message 25 of 26
virgo
Established Contributor

Update: I get an email and message from City EO asking what I owe Discover.

When I was speaking with the CA law firm believer that Discover sent the account to, basically throwing myself at their feet and telling him my entire strategy against Citi, he said 'Citi is also our client'

You can imagine what I thought. Why? Because the attorney was required by rules of judicial conduct to disclose everything I said to him, to Citi.

I immediately called the BOD of Discover and spoke directly to their in-house att. I told him under no uncertain terms would I speak with that law firm again. It was a major conflict of interest on the part of the att. to even continue the conversation.

Citi was required by law to disclose in writing all hold policies at the time of opening an account. Reg cc. Not only did they not do that, they did nothing to help the situation.

The federal violation alone would cost them millions. I could also have the attorney sanctioned or even disbarred because this is a major ethics violation.

The only thing I will accept from Citi is if they fix my relationship with Discover. This was't just about money. I was accused of fraud.

Citi could have and SHOULD have fixed this 09/21/2017.

Believe me, I can screw up as well as the next person but this, was not my doing.

It is situations like this that cause people to abandon their debts. 

I'lol keep you posted. Thanks to all who responded

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.