cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support: Collection, Judgment, or Tradeline.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child Support: Collection, Judgment, or Tradeline.

I need to preface this post by saying:

1)  I've paid child support for 20+ years;

2)  As parents, we raised awesome children;

3)  Everyone comes on hard times, if not, you are the exception;

4)  This post is not about getting out of child support, or whether or not the system is jacked up, or whether or not custodial parents deserve       CS, or noncustodial parents deserve to hang;

5)  We pay CS whether we like it or not, and 99.9% of the time that support benefits our children;

6)  Lastly, beating up custodial/non-custodial parents here as a response to this post is not helpful;

7)  Please keep your colorful remarks to yourself; and

8)  This is about knowledge only!

Check out this article!!

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/delinquent-child-support-credit-score.php

I read this article yesterday.  And, if i understand it correctly:

1) My CS reports as a trade line;

2) It apparently reports as neutral;

3) It will apparently stay for 7 years, because it was delinquent at times; and

4) I am a resident of the Great State of Texas.

What are your data points?

1) How does your CS report?

2) How does it impact your scores?  Positive, negative, neutral?

3) How long did it report?

4) In what state do you reside?

Thanks!

Peace!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support: Collection, Judgment, or Tradeline.

Wow.  No interest?

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Child Support: Collection, Judgment, or Tradeline.

There is no trade/commerce involved in child support accounts.

The FCRA does not use the term tradeline, and refers to consumer accounts involved with trade/commerce being consumer requests for credit, insurance, or business transactions. 

A child support account is not related to any of those account types, and I would not refer to them as a "tradeline."

However, irrespective of personal view, FCRA 622 mandates that a CRA must include in credit reports they issue any reporting from a government agency that reports child support arrears.  Thus, the CRAs provide a totally separate account type for child support accounts.

It is account code 93.

FCRA 622 sets a specified reporting period of 7 years, which is from the date of the last reported monthly delinquency.

"FCRA 622  Information on overdue child support obligations

[15 U.S.C. § 1681s-1]

Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, a consumer reporting agency shall include in any consumer report furnished by the agency in accordance with section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title, any information on the failure of the consumer to pay overdue support which is provided to the consumer reporting agency by a State or local child sup-port enforcement agency; or to the consumer reporting agency and verified by any local, State, or Federal government agency; and antedates the report by 7 years or less."

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.