Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child support paid

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child support paid

Well, it sounds like for some reason it is listed as an installment account, which is somewhat positive versus a judgement or collection account.

Paying it off will help a little as far as overall balances are concerned, but the late remarks will remain for 7 years from the date of the first 30 days late. I don't anticipate this will strongly impact your score. 

But as a single mother, thank you for paying off your child support. You should definitely feel good about that and just keep plugging away at your debt. 

I would suggest opening a secured credit card, Discover is great, and Capital One has one as well. Creating positive credit history is going to help you signficantly in countering the previous deliquiencies. 

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I read on here it's showing up correctly it should be listed as an account http://blog.credit.com/2016/07/will-child-support-payments-affect-my-credit-150155/

Many reasons why I didn't/couldn't pay but those issues are resolved I plan to stay on top of it from now on. I'm hoping that this puts me at least at a 600. That's the minimum score I need to qualify for a Veteran Affairs home loans.
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The child support case worker told me that once the system is updated they will report that my account is current with a zero balance. No longer late. Until the child is 18 and I stay on top of my payments.
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The child support case worker told me that once the system is updated they will report that my account is current with a zero balance. No longer late. Until the child is 18 and I stay on top of my payments.

That doesn't mean they will remove the previous late remarks.

Unless that happens, and even if that happens, it is going to take a lot more time and actionables to get you up to a 600 from 539.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to give an up date on the status on my dilemma; in case anyone else in the future is in a similar situation. I've been working with a realtor who submitted a dispute to the credit bureaus to get my report updated sooner than it would take the state of California (30-45 days) my realtor said that if they accept the documentation weave provided and they should (it shows my payment are current with a balance of 0) then it would take 3-5 business days to get an update. I also spoke with the child support case worker and was advised that their office will not report any previous late remarks only the current balance. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll update this post sometime next week.
Message 15 of 25
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Kudo's to you.  Parental responsibility is so much more than money.  You sound like a good guy who has worked hard to get your debts paid. 

good luck on your house hunt!  Keep us informed of how things turn out.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just wanted to give an up date on the status on my dilemma; in case anyone else in the future is in a similar situation. I've been working with a realtor who submitted a dispute to the credit bureaus to get my report updated sooner than it would take the state of California (30-45 days) my realtor said that if they accept the documentation weave provided and they should (it shows my payment are current with a balance of 0) then it would take 3-5 business days to get an update. I also spoke with the child support case worker and was advised that their office will not report any previous late remarks only the current balance. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll update this post sometime next week.

Whatever happened with your child support showing up on your credit reports?

Just curious.

I have some one mine that I'd like to do something about if possible.

Thanks!

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just took a close look at my Transunion CR.  I've seen on the myFICO Forums that child support is not considered into credit scored.  But I think that must be the case ONLY if you have no delinquent payments.  I have delinquent payments.  And, it is listed under adverse accounts along with my 2 collection accounts.

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, sorry I took so long to reply. Unfortunately paying the 17k didn’t do much for my credit at all. I don’t even think it paying it off raised a single point. The late previous late payments still haunt my credit report. But staying on top of my payments along with a couple of secure cards I was able to raise my credit to a 651 in less than a year. I closed on a new home last week.
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new home!!

That's awesome!!

My scores are similar to yours....and, I too, have the child support problems.  Guess i'll just have to watch it fall off in 5 or 6 years.  Who knows....maybe I'll catch a break.  My child support terminates on Graduation day this year....currently scheduled for June 5, 2018.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.