Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank Student Loan Confusion

tag
MarcoMP3
New Contributor

Citibank Student Loan Confusion

Ok, So I have a Citibank Student Loan account on my CR that I'm confused about. I originally took the loan out with Citi, but then the loan was transferred to Sallie Mae. The loan is currently under deferment because I'm still in school. The Sallie Mae TL for this account has the same DO and DoLA. What I'm confused about is, even though the account was closed and transferred, why is the status saying "120+ days past due" ? As you guys can see on the bottom, I have a 60 day late for June 2011 and a 90 day late for July 2011. Then for August I entered deferment again because I returned to school so it says "OK" for August 2011. Shouldn't the status be current/pays as agreed? Is this something I can dispute and maybe take advantage of the situatuion to get it deleted? Since the lates are hurting me and Citibank no longer owns the account. Any help is appreciated!

Status as of Sep, 2011

Date opened: Mar, 2008

Date of last activity: May, 2011

Largest past balance: $3,500

Account Type: Installment

Account holder: Individual

Scheduled Payment Amount: $50

Industry: All Banks

Descriptions
-Account transferred or sold
-Student loan
Balance: $0

30 days late: 0

60 days late: 1

90 days late: 1

Payment History:

-2009-

Sep - OK

Oct - OK

Nov - OK

Dec - OK

-2010-

All year - OK

-2011-

Jan - OK

Feb - OK

Mar - OK

Apr - OK

May - OK

Jun - 60 days late

July - 90 days late

Aug - OK

Starting Score: EQ 558 TU 534 EX 527
Current Score: EQ 642 TU 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citibank Student Loan Confusion

It appears as though you were out of deferrment/required to make payments for the months of June & July 2011-- is that correct. If so, and the lates are legitimate, they don't fall off just because you enter/re-enter defrerrment. Smiley Sad There doesn't appear to be anythingt o dispute. I'd suggest trying to goodwill those lates. G/L!!!

Message 2 of 6
MarcoMP3
New Contributor

Yes that is correct, my question is, to my understanding, once a student loan is re-entered in deferment, it automatically becomes current. The lates still stay on there but the status becomes current/pays as agreed. Shortly after I re-entered deferment, the accout was sold/transferred to Sallie Mae, but yet, Citi is reporting the status of this account 120+ days past due and Sallie Mae is reporting Current/Pays as agreed.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The loan becomes current, but the previous lates (obtained while not in deferrment) remain, unfortunately. The good news is that you probably have a better shot at goodwilling Citi than you do SallieMae. I'd start sending those GW letters ASAP.
Message 4 of 6
MarcoMP3
New Contributor

That's exactly what I thought. I just thought maybe I had other options. I'm hoping for the best. Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

BE careful when interpreting a "status" appearing in your CR.

If the account is currently considered "paid as agreed" due to the deferment, yes, that would require the current status to read as such.

However, the status of your Payment Rating code still retains the highest level of prior delinquency, and your Payment History profile still maintains a record of each monthly status.

So update of current status to pays as agreed does not also reflect the update of all status codes to a non-negative status and does not erase all appearance of delinquency status from your CR.

I would suspect that the still-appearing delinquencies are extracted from field codes other than simply your current account status.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.