cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank keeps saying no to my GWs re late payment - HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank keeps saying no to my GWs re late payment - HELP!

Just got another letter from Citibank re my Shell gas card. I've been GWing to try to get them to delete one 30 day late that occured back in 11/2009. They wrote:

"We regret that we are unable to change the information reported to the major credit reporting agencies as it accurately reflects your account history. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, we are obligated to report account history based on factual account data. Standards established in the credit industry ensure integrity of data and uniform communications between credit reporting agencies."

How do I respond to that? Because it is true that the FCRA requires them to report accurately, so what's my comeback? Since technically it would not accurately be reporting it if they were to delete the late, what do I do?

I know it was over 3 years ago, but it's the ONLY late I have on my credit report and I'd love to get it gone so that I have 100% on-time payment history (I also have 3 CO Amex accounts, but for some reason those aren't reporting any late payments, they are only reported as a CO).

I GW'd Capital One and got a phone call from their executive office and she said no problem we are going to remove the late and report it as paid on time and it updated as promised, even though I really was late on making the payment. So if Capital One can do it, why not Citibank and what should I say when responding? Should I even write my next GW as a response to this one, or just send the same letter I sent before just like I never even got this letter?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Citibank keeps saying no to my GWs re late payment - HELP!

The FCRA does say they have to report accurate information.  It does not say they have to report at all.  So by them not reporting one month would be their decision and not a violation of the FCRA.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

The FCRA does say they have to report accurate information.  It does not say they have to report at all.  So by them not reporting one month would be their decision and not a violation of the FCRA.

Awesome, thanks!

Here's the email I just resent to the Citibank exec in charge of card products that got me a call last time...

Dear Jud,

I wanted to thank you and Citibank/Shell for the excellent service you have provided me as a customer over the last 7 years. I'm also coming to you with a humble request.

I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a “goodwill” adjustment to your reporting to the three credit reporting agencies on my Shell card account (#ACCOUNT NUMBER). According to my credit report, I have (1) 30-day late payment on the aforementioned account, which is dated 12/2009.

I know you already said no to this request, but I'm hoping you'd reconsider. Someone from your office told me last time that you can't grant my request because under the Fair Credit Reporting Act you are obligated to report account history accurately. While it is true that creditors are required to report whatever they report in an accurate manner, the FCRA does not require creditors to report at all. So not reporting one month would be completely at your discretion and not a violation of the FCRA.

I wouldn't ask if I weren't desperate. Without your assistance, all the hard work I have put into rebuilding my credit is negated by this one payment reporting 30 days late. I have no other lates on any of my accounts across my three credit reports.

Before and since 12/2009, I have had an excellent payment history with you. A brief look at my account will reveal I've made over 36 on-time payment since my unfortunate lapse of judgement. The time preceding 12/2009 was an unprecedentedly hectic time in my life, but that's no excuse for paying late and I honestly cannot associate with the person who let this obligation go unattended to for that month. I don't say this to justify why the payment was late, but rather to explain that the late payment is not a good indicator of my current creditworthiness.

I have been a very happy customer in the past and hope to continue a long relationship with your company and can only hope that there's redemption at Citibank, and I beg you for such consideration. 

Since this 30 day late is not a reflection of my current creditworthiness, I am requesting that you give me a second chance by deleting this late payment vis-a-vis removing your payment report on this account to the credit reporting agencies for the month of 12/2009, which is fully permitted by the FCRA and not a violation of it.

Thanks, Jud, for taking the time to read my letter! Please let me know if you require any further information from me that would help in reaching a positive outcome.

Very sincerely,

NAME

PHONE

Shell/Citibank account # ACCOUNT NUMBER

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 6
zooky
New Visitor

Hey. I'm in the same situation with Citi. Have you had any success? If so, can you PM the person's contact information. Thank you in advance!

Message 5 of 6
benjita

Same boat. Was this resolved favorably?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.