Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City of San Diego Water Bill Paid CO major baddie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

City of San Diego Water Bill Paid CO major baddie

I am a rebuilder and am in the garden. Without going into how and why, we were 24 times 180 days late on our water utility bill which shows on EX as an installment acct. We entered into a payment plan and got caught up on 7/15. Unfortunately for us they have placed a statement on EX stating this account was 180 days late 24 times. It is the only bad mark on my EX report but won't fall off until 2019.

I have only one open revolving acct with Capital Bank (Open Sky secured Visa) with a $200 credit line. I open it 11 months ago and have never charged over 30% and leave only 2-3% to report on CR. My Fico 8 on EX is 680.

I was so in hopes of applying for the Barclaycard Rewards MC this May once two baddies fall of my TU (Fico 666) but I don't think it is offered anymore. After those baddies age off, I will have an old paid State tax lien.

My EQ is Fico 687 and I am waiting for one baddie to age off next month. Only an old paid State tax lien will remain.

I only have one hard inquiry across all three credit reports.

So here's my question: are my odds favorable to apply for the Capital One Platinum card or, will I probably be denied if and when they see the water paid CO? Should I try instead for the Discover IT card?

We've lived in the same residence for nine years. I have worked at the same place for nearly four years and income is ok. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: City of San Diego Water Bill Paid CO major baddie

The one hard inquiry is a year old.
Message 2 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

You could probably get the Platinum. Check their prequal page and see. Hubby got a Discover It with an EQ 680, but his reports were clean.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used the Capital One tool and I do qualify on it for the Platinum card. Same thing for the Discover IT Cash Back. I receive home mailings from Capital One prequalifying for the Platinum and invitations to apply from Discover. It just may be a crap shoot.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What credit bureaus pulled for the Discover IT card?
Message 5 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Cap1 prequals are pretty well accurate. Discover you have to be careful that it's a small spread on the APR, usually 3 points
Message 6 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

They pulled EQ for hubby, but we're in Texas. The creditpulls database might give you an idea for California.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Yes I check the Credit Database frequently. In CA I notice Discover checks mostly EQ and TU but, they will sometimes pull EX.
Message 8 of 9
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

With a 680 and nothing bad in the last two years you should be almost guaranteed a CapOne card.  Discover can be weird, they denied me with a score over 700 last year.  Worst case you don't get the card, one HP isn't going to change your score much if any.  There are members here getting approvals with 25+ inqs in the last year.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.