Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil Summons

tag
paturner
New Contributor

Civil Summons

HELP!!! I filed bankrupcy last yr (dicharged in Feb), after discharge I received a medical bill that was billed after the time window of the bankruptcy. It's $534. Last week I received a civil summons for court. I'm assuming this collection agency (attorney's office) is seeking a judgement against me. I don't have $534 I can give them. I contacted the court in my state (Tn) because I'd read something online about a Notice of Appearance and Answer. The court clerk stated she'd never heard of that and if I wanted I could write up something that would be attached  to the information presented to the judge. She also stated I might contact the attorney listed on the summons. Since it's listed and it looks like information for a high class collection agency. I'm really at a loss for what to do. Since I'm rebuilding, the last thing I need is a judgement on my record and/or to have my wages garnished. Any suggestions? I thought about contacting my bankrupcty attorney for advice but not sure they could/would help.

starting anew
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Civil Summons

I'd suggest contacting the attorney handling the case and try to work out some payment arrangements or a settlement you can afford. If that doesn't work, go to court and try to get the case continued (the judge will usually allow it at least once or twice). Then, do whatever you need to do to pay it off before it goes back to court. If it's paid, it'll be dismissed. 

ETA: If the original creditor still owns the debt (just hired the lawyer to collect) you may be able to work a deal directly with them.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.