Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning my credit! Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleaning my credit! Help

Okay, this might be a bit long, Me and my husband are wanting to buy a house, but it will be atleast 6-9 months before he will even generate a score.

A new collection just popped the other day. 

My collections stand as follows.

VIrtuoso $291 (Sprint) - They want to charge me a convienence fee of $12 per payment for paying this collection down, it just went into collections and they wont do a PFD. I moved and wasn't even aware of this. 

Portfolio RC (Cap1) The called me on my phone and my husbands phone, and offered me 6 monthly payment of $150. Its a settlement offer, but can this be deleted? My original amount was for 1,195

CBE Group (Directv) Originally was 830 and I just settled for 415 and settlement has been paid as of Friday 2/20/15, so has not yet shown on my credit report. Will show Settled in Full. Hoping to get deleted somewhere down the road with a GW letter.

Credit Protection Associates (NewWave Communications) Paid over a year ago, I am hoping to write a GW letter to the bureaus

MPCS of 3 Seperate acccounts 1 mine 2 my ex-husbands, that I will be disputing.

First Bank 291 - another item, I will be disputing as I am not legally obligated to this.

Verizon Wireless - 357 

I want to handle the medical debts last, as they are the smallest amount, and I prefer to get the large ones out of the way. I had send proof of identity and address change to the credit bureaus. They should've recieved that monday. I don't know how long it will take, then I will start disputing what needs to be disputed for, as far as my collections go. I am at a lost. Since Sprint is the newest, should I pay that first? Or take the settlement offer with my old Cap1 bill? Then handle sprint?  Cap1 is 54% of what I owe. Once the large ones are out of the way. My goal is to have everything paid off in 6 months, in that time my husband will have a credit score and mine will be building as well as I am paying stuff down. 

What do you reccomend? By the time my collections are paid off, and I no longer owe for any past mistakes me and my husband hope to have our DTI under 20%

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cleaning my credit! Help

I am/was in the same position, I just finished up paying everything that I owed within the past 6 months and I found the following:

-Paying Credit Cards in collections will boost your score faster than anything else. 

-I owed Cap One $600 and didn't take the negotiation and paid in full.  I settled on HSBC and it reports "paid/settled for lesser than owed".

-I would then focus on the smaller bills to be honest since they are "low hanging fruit".

-I didn't see any change in my score when medicals were deleted from my report.

-Collections older than 2 years probably aren't affecting your score as much as the newer ones.

Just like myself, everything has to be paid regardless and you have to concentrate on rebuilding like I am in the process of doing now.  You also have to look at getting new credit as well. I hope this helps and keep chipping away at it!!!

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, this might be a bit long, Me and my husband are wanting to buy a house, but it will be atleast 6-9 months before he will even generate a score.

A new collection just popped the other day. 

My collections stand as follows.

VIrtuoso $291 (Sprint) - They want to charge me a convienence fee of $12 per payment for paying this collection down, it just went into collections and they wont do a PFD. I moved and wasn't even aware of this. You should call Sprint and pay them in full in exchange for recalling the collector.

Portfolio RC (Cap1) The called me on my phone and my husbands phone, and offered me 6 monthly payment of $150. Its a settlement offer, but can this be deleted? My original amount was for 1,195 PRA is a tough one and most likely will deny a PFD but I would still attempt.

CBE Group (Directv) Originally was 830 and I just settled for 415 and settlement has been paid as of Friday 2/20/15, so has not yet shown on my credit report. Will show Settled in Full. Hoping to get deleted somewhere down the road with a GW letter. Yup, GW   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Credit Protection Associates (NewWave Communications) Paid over a year ago, I am hoping to write a GW letter to the bureaus  GW letters always go to the entity wo is reporting on your CR never to the CRAs themselves.

MPCS of 3 Seperate acccounts 1 mine 2 my ex-husbands, that I will be disputing.

First Bank 291 - another item, I will be disputing as I am not legally obligated to this.

Verizon Wireless - 357  Settle before it goes to collections, try the PFD but they are notorious for denying you just dont want the CA entry on top of them.

I want to handle the medical debts last, as they are the smallest amount, and I prefer to get the large ones out of the way. I had send proof of identity and address change to the credit bureaus. They should've recieved that monday. I don't know how long it will take, then I will start disputing what needs to be disputed for, as far as my collections go. I am at a lost. Since Sprint is the newest, should I pay that first? Or take the settlement offer with my old Cap1 bill? Then handle sprint?  Cap1 is 54% of what I owe. Once the large ones are out of the way. My goal is to have everything paid off in 6 months, in that time my husband will have a credit score and mine will be building as well as I am paying stuff down. Settling and paying off you debt is a good thing, if you dont get the PFDs when they update the TLs will look new in the eyes of Fico so they will have to start to age back in time for you to see score increases. For medical debts you have 3 choices

1. Call the OC ask that the collection be recalled and if they do pay them off in full

2. Attempt the PFD with the reporting CA and if they refuse your third choice is

3. Google and use the HIPAA Process

What do you reccomend? By the time my collections are paid off, and I no longer owe for any past mistakes me and my husband hope to have our DTI under 20%

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Cap1 is a collection right now. But it is my biggest one. The little ones are small medical bills that u I will try and get out of the way.

I will probably do
Cap1
Sprint
Verizon
And if I wasn't able to get the first bank and medical off by disputing I will pay those lasts.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should I do about the Virtuoso(Sprint) charging me. Other than paying in full? Can I go to the original creditor about this.
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
What should I do about the Virtuoso(Sprint) charging me. Other than paying in full? Can I go to the original creditor about this.

Each CA or OC has the right to set their fees for certain services and they are within their rights to set a charge for each payment, you could try arguing it with the OC but I dont see you getting anywhere. If you can come up with the funds for PIF you might call the OC ask them to recall the collector and then pay them off, if they wont do it then you are going to have to deal with the CA. You could also just wait till you have all the funds to settle with the CA and avoid their payment charge.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.