cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning out old garbage - how to do it?

tag
zullyquirke
Contributor

Re: I've been using Freescore.com to get my credit scores....

Okay, I think I got it figured out. There's an item, an old credit card that I let go delinquent and get charged off, that's showing up as part of my revolving debt somehow. I don't get how. Wouldn't that be a collection? I definitely don't want this sitting on my account. I have the money to pay it off, but I'm not sure how to go about it. And I'm not sure why it's affecting my credit card utilization percentage.

Capital One Bank Usa Na

Status as ofDate opened [?]Date of last activity [?]Date closed [?]Loan type [?]Credit limit [?]Largest past balance [?]Account Type [?]Account holder [?]Industry
Jul, 2011
Jul, 2006
Nov, 2006
May, 2007
Credit Card
$300
$621
Revolving Account
Individual Account
Banks

Balance [?] Current Status [?] Past Due Amount [?]

$1,060Charged off as bad debt$1,060

Message 11 of 21
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@zullyquirke wrote:

Okay, I think I got it figured out. There's an item, an old credit card that I let go delinquent and get charged off, that's showing up as part of my revolving debt somehow. I don't get how. Wouldn't that be a collection? I definitely don't want this sitting on my account. I have the money to pay it off, but I'm not sure how to go about it. And I'm not sure why it's affecting my credit card utilization percentage.

Capital One Bank Usa Na

Status as ofDate opened [?]Date of last activity [?]Date closed [?]Loan type [?]Credit limit [?]Largest past balance [?]Account Type [?]Account holder [?]Industry
Jul, 2011
Jul, 2006
Nov, 2006
May, 2007
Credit Card
$300
$621
Revolving Account
Individual Account
Banks

Balance [?] Current Status [?] Past Due Amount [?]

$1,060Charged off as bad debt$1,060

I"m assuming it's taking up your utilization because you have a $300 limit with a $1060 balance...

also - just because it's not shown as a collection, doesn't mean that it's not a collection Smiley Happy  sounds dumb, but i've found that is the case on my TU report.

may i ask if this is a collection agency (CA) or the original creditor (OC)...sorry if I missed it, but it's late for me Smiley Happy

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 12 of 21
zullyquirke
Contributor

The account was with Capital One, so it looks like OC. I guess I just assumed that since it was charged off as bad debt in 2007 it wouldn't count as part of my utilization score anymore!

Message 13 of 21
fot1
Established Contributor

Nope a CO still effect ulti.. It is still money you owe.  If you have money to pay it off you should.. Will help your score with ulti % and Cap 1 is known to sue over small amounts.. You don't want  risk either a CA added to your report or possible getting a judgment added. You can offer a PFD, Cap 1 is a tough one with this though..

Too many to list..
Message 14 of 21
zullyquirke
Contributor

If a PFD doesn't work, what should I do? 

Message 15 of 21
zullyquirke
Contributor

And one more thing-- I'm trying to reach out to the CA's on a couple of my other items, but the only things listed are things like "189YC00137." No contact info at all for the CA!

Message 16 of 21
fot1
Established Contributor

@zullyquirke wrote:

Personally I would pay it before something worse happens.. Is this your only CO or Collection account?  If you have more how many are still in SOL? A lot of different things to consider. What are the other 6 negatives on your report?

Too many to list..
Message 17 of 21
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@zullyquirke wrote:

now, now, don't assume it won't work Smiley Happy  stay positive!!!! 

PFD until your fingers bleed from typing Smiley Wink  keep searching for different people to send the request to.  start off by offering 50% or so of the balance and go up from there.  you might have to pay 100% of the balance (eventually) but just keep trying.  make sure if you come to any agreement via telephone, that they follow it up in writing BEFORE you pay a dime.  

I wish you luck with this and hope it all works out!!!

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 18 of 21
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@zullyquirke wrote:

And one more thing-- I'm trying to reach out to the CA's on a couple of my other items, but the only things listed are things like "189YC00137." No contact info at all for the CA!

There HAS to be some kind of information for the collection agency (or how else would the CB be able to verify).  Keep digging/looking.  Sometimes it might just be a few letters that stand for something else.  I had one 6 years ago that was listed as "CRA"...talk about confusing!  i thought that only meant "credit reporting agency"...oh how naive I was Smiley Happy  It's the little tricks they do to make you THINK they aren't collection agencies 

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 19 of 21
fot1
Established Contributor

Have you pulled your reprts from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index yet? These are direct from the CRA's and are more detailed then the ones you get from 3rd party sources. You get to pull a set once a year for free.. Make sure to make copies as you have a short period you can access them.

Too many to list..
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.