cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up my credit report

tag
lalalyn04

Cleaning up my credit report

Hello all, I have been checking out this site for sometime now, and you all have motivated me to take a look at my credit and to start cleaning it up. I was able to have someone to soft pull my credit report from TU and Experian, my TU score is 553 and experian is 563...I have also just opened up a secured BOFA card and just received it this past weekend. Now alot of the baddies I have did was back in 2005 so I believe it should be coming off soon, I have a few that was just done recently in the past few years...I will put down all the baddies that are in collections on here, and just needing help in who I should pay and who I should not pay and just fall off and pay later. I have no specific timeframe or goal at this point, I think in th enext year or so I would like a new car...

Midland Funding (credit card opened (02/06)- 570

COMMONWEALTH FINANCIAL(credit card opened 12/05)- 521

Afni(TMOBILE) opened 06- 524

Macys(was kaufmans at the time opened 11/05- 504

First Premier (08)

Afni (verizon) 363 opened 08

Swiss colony 12/05- 275

comcast (eastern account systems- 02/12- 228

Midland (verizon) 08- 110

progressive 11/11)- 77

student loans that was refinanced back in 08 that is showing as a deliquant account

JCP 11/05- 300

And I believe that is it, the positive credit I have is just Fingerhut 200 credit limit and BOFA 300 limit...

I talked to someone and they said let the 05/06 ones fall off and try to make deals with the more recent ones, also she said that afni was good to deal with...any help if neccesary Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
KnewBee
New Contributor

Re: Cleaning up my credit report

Hello and Welcome! If I were you I would do the Progressive first. It is newer and smallest balance. If you have the money to the pay them, call them directly first. They are usually good about doing GW deletes per my own experiences and some of the other posts here. I would probably work on the Comcast next since it is newer and smaller too. I had an interesting experience with Comcast, different CA. Had a collection with them when i had a foreclosure and had to move into a friends house. Once I got back on my feet and was living on my own again, I signed up for service with them again (before i was doing all this credit rebuilding) they made me pay off old collection balance prior to setting up my new service, were very nice about it. Next time I checked my credit I noticed the CA account for them was completely deleted without me even requesting, so i am guessing you may have good luck  with a GW delete if you deal with them directly when you have the money to pay it, especially if you are signing up with new service with them. 

Best of luck to you! 

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 2 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forums,

Need to know 2 important dates on each account. The DoFD (Date of First Default) and your states  SOL (statue Of Limitations).

DoFD can be found on your EQ CR, it's the first missed payment or first 30day late on an account that was NEVER brought back to current again.

SOL (Statue of Limitations) is the legal time limit a creditor has to sue and win. Most states it's 3 to 6 yrs, some states it's longer.

If you can't find your states SOL, just tell us what state you live in.

If you haven't pulled your FREE CR's from (ACR) annualcreditreport.com , go ahead and get them, they tend to have more info on them, then ones from a 3rd party.
The CR's from ACR, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free CR from TU,EQ and EX every 12 months.

Study the Common Abbreviations or make a copy to put next to your computer, so you'll understand the way we all talk around here.lol

The way I decided on which ones to pay first was, I found out which debts were within SOL and worked on those first.

Take a breathe, repairing and rebuilding does take time, but it will be worth it.  Smiley Wink i'll let others chime it too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 8
lalalyn04

Thank you for the advice so far , I am located in PA so the SOL i checked is 6 years...and I know I was reading up on it that they cannot keep it on the report after 6 years and that I can write a letter stating that I know this information or I can take them to court....is that correct?

Midland Funding (credit card opened (02/06)- 570 DOD 06/06

COMMONWEALTH FINANCIAL(credit card opened 12/05)- 521 DOD 03/06

Afni(TMOBILE) opened 06- 524 01/06

Macys(was kaufmans at the time opened 11/05- 504

First Premier (08) 300, never paid DOD 08

Afni (verizon) 363 opened 08 DOD 09 sometime

Swiss colony 12/05- 275 DOD as is

comcast (eastern account systems- 02/12- 228

Midland (verizon) 08- 110 DOD 09

progressive 11/11)- 77

student loans that was refinanced back in 08 that is showing as a deliquant account

JCP 11/05- 300

Alot of my earlier account (since I was young and dumb) I did not even keep up with. The only I kept up with for awhile is Macys, JCP, Credit card with Midland and the rest I used up the credit or service and never paid one dime..Now verizon was phone service so I had them at least a year or less...Comcast and progressive was the most recent, and I do plan to pay them off soon... But I wanted to see what else to pay off, this lady told me to go for the verizon ones cause i did them in 08, and possibly the tmobile cause she said they will settle for way less..

Message 4 of 8
lalalyn04

Ok so I was able to go on Transunion to say I was disputing and I have when these accounts will come off if this can help you some, it seems like alot of my DOD dates was in 06...

Afni 524 (tmobile)- will be removed 12/2012
Afni (Verizon) 366- 12/2014 removed
Commonwealth finance (ge money bank)- will be removed 10/2013
Macys 504- will be removed 04/2014 < call them
First premier- 300 will be removed 10/2015
First savings )with midland- 300 will be removed 06/2013 and 07-13
JCP- removed 03/13
Geneva College 6(724 846 5100) removed 09/13
Midland 110- removed 09/15
Swiss Colony- removed 01/2013

Message 5 of 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@lalalyn04 wrote:

Thank you for the advice so far , I am located in PA so the SOL i checked is 6 years...and I know I was reading up on it that they cannot keep it on the report after 6 years and that I can write a letter stating that I know this information or I can take them to court....is that correct?

CRTP and SOL are two different things.
CRTP has to do with CR's. SOL has nothing to do with Credit reporting,it's the legal side of a debt.

CRTP (credit reporting time period) is the length of time an item reports on a CR.
Most negatives stay on a CR for 7yrs, CA's stay for 7.5 yrs, Starting from the DoFD.

Here's a thread about CRTP,you wil find helpful....http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Reporting-Time-Periods/m-p/4577#U4577

Other threads to read, if you haven't already...

What Steps Do I Take?Do I DV?PFD?  and  The Son Of Credit Scoring 101 and.Frequently Requested Threads

the threads can also be found, at the top of this board.In case you need to refer back to them again.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 6 of 8
lalalyn04

BUMP, still looking for someone to help me

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@lalalyn04 wrote:

Ok so I was able to go on Transunion to say I was disputing and I have when these accounts will come off if this can help you some, it seems like alot of my DOD dates was in 06...

Afni 524 (tmobile)- will be removed 12/2012  Fixing to fall off.  Send PFD for $50 or so.
Afni (Verizon) 366- 12/2014 removed  Send a PFD, offer them maybe half.
Commonwealth finance (ge money bank)- will be removed 10/2013 How much?  Offer a PFD
Macys 504- will be removed 04/2014 < call them  Send a PFD
First premier- 300 will be removed 10/2015 Still in SOL.  Send them a PFD.
First savings )with midland- 300 will be removed 06/2013 and 07-13 Send a PFD
JCP- removed 03/13 Send a PFD
Geneva College 6(724 846 5100) removed 09/13 
Midland 110- removed 09/15
Swiss Colony- removed 01/2013

So you get the point.  Send PFDs.  I know some are getting old, really old.  But I always suggest paying something.  It just keeps problems arising from bottom feeding CAs from getting these accounts.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.