Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close my US Bank checking/savings?

tag
ptilda
Established Contributor

Close my US Bank checking/savings?

In the past week, I opened accounts at Affinity Plus CU and at PenFed CU in order to establish relationship with those places for future loans/CC. I currently have a US Bank account as my primary account. Is there any benefit to me keeping that account open? Will it help me when it comes time to apply for a US Bank CC should I opt to do so?

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Close my US Bank checking/savings?

@ptilda wrote:

In the past week, I opened accounts at Affinity Plus CU and at PenFed CU in order to establish relationship with those places for future loans/CC. I currently have a US Bank account as my primary account. Is there any benefit to me keeping that account open? Will it help me when it comes time to apply for a US Bank CC should I opt to do so?

Aside from potential fees from the bank/CU and any inquiries upon opening them, there's no harm in keeping a checking open. YMMV as to whether or not a CC lender will care if you have an acct with them. IMO, it helps to have a checking with the CC-issuer when transferring money/making pmts.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.