Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Account Still Updating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed Account Still Updating

I have a question. I have a CC account that has been closed and PIF back in 2009, but the company is still updating my credit report on this acount. I tried to dispute it saying that the account is closed, but the company is still updating and the response that I received was that the dates are correct. I tried to call the company from the number on the dispute response and they couldn't find my file (of course, because the account is closed) and told me to write a letter to corporate hq. How do I go about handling this? There is no estimated date of removal, because the company is updating the account monthly.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed Account Still Updating

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

What kind of status does it have?    Closed in good standing or derog?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! It's closed in derog standing. Has been closed and paid since 2010, but the company is reporting every month. I don't understand why. 

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Regular updating of an account that is paid, and thus no longer delinquent, is contrary to the policy set forth in the standard credit reporting manual, the "Credit Reporting Resource Guide."

Updating should only be made on a closed, paid account if some information changes, and thus they are required under FCRA 623(a)(2) to update that information.

Updates that only reflect prior reporting are to be discontnued.

File a dispute of the continued updating with the CRA.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've disputed once, with Experian, and the response was "the dates are correct." Can I dispute more than once?
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I've disputed once, with Experian, and the response was "the dates are correct." Can I dispute more than once?

Yes dispute on the basis that Robert has given you by mail.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.