cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account before I even activated it!

tag
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Closed account before I even activated it!

You all know I waited for like 3 months for OB to send me my CC. Well I finally got it and dont want it. The purpose of me getting the card was to try to build credit, but now that I have the car loan, I figure that will also do the same thing for me. Not only that, but if this company was so regedy in getting me the cards, I suspect they cant be trusted in keeping accurate records of when I paid and THE LAST thing I wanted was for them to screw me up moreso than Id already messed myself up. Im not concerned with the closing of an account as this account was irrelevant since I never activated the card and even IF it does some damage, Id much rather not be bothered with their type of "business" if thats what you want to call it. I'll try for another CC after this bad taste wears off...

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Closed account before I even activated it!

I know you are upset, but typically history with revolving credit pays off more in the long-term than an installment loan.

Do you have other cards or was this your only one?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

If you didnt activate accont then the only hit is the HP.  Find another secured card when you get yur money back .  Its not bad enough that the terms are criminal they have to make people beg...disgusting.Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 3 of 12
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

This was my first attempt. Im not fully put off by CC at all. I just dont see how a company that is supposed to help build can be so sloppy!

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 4 of 12
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

If you didnt activate accont then the only hit is the HP.  Find another secured card when you get yur money back .  Its not bad enough that the terms are criminal they have to make people beg...disgusting.Smiley Frustrated

AGREED!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

"Activation" of a card is a security measure.  If they have approved the application and sent the card, it is still an open account.

Failure to activate does not mean that the account was not opened, or wont appear in your CR.

Maybe they wont report it at all if never activated, but they can.

Message 6 of 12
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

"Activation" of a card is a security measure.  If they have approved the application and sent the card, it is still an open account.

Failure to activate does not mean that the account was not opened, or wont appear in your CR.

Maybe they wont report it at all if never activated, but they can.

From my experience with First Premier - once you approved the application, you have agreed to all the fees associated with the card.  Just because you didn't activate it, doesn't mean you aren't liable for the wonderful starter fees associated with these subprime cards.

I highly suggest that you call OB and find out how much the annual fee was as well as any activation fees and pay them.  The last thing you need is a $59 AF being sent to collections because you figured since you never activated the card you didn't accept the fees.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 7 of 12
FrugalRican
Blogger

Totally missed the part where the card wasn't activated.

The account would still be completely active and open, just the card would be non-functional.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I stand corrected currently I would call another rep BE NICE and see if you didnt activate if a fee is owed or not.  Have her email you something to that effect.  I always thought there was a period from the time you receive a card to cancel if the terms enclosed with card were not to your liking.  I have FP the worst and in the documents sent with card it reads as follows:   Under set upp maintenence fees: Notice: Some of these set-up and maintenence fees will be assessed before you begin using your Card and will reduce the amount of credit you initally have available.  Based on you initail deposit of xxx your inital available credit wil be xxx.  You may still reject this plan, provided that you have not yet used the Credit Account, up to 30 days from when the security Deposit was funded in full and your credit account was opened.  If you do reject the plan, you are not responsible for any fees or charges.   Look at the papers that came with the card see if it says something like that if it does still call as the cc didnt arrive for quite sometime GET IT IN WRITING hope that helps let us knowSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 9 of 12
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

There were no activation or annual fee for the first year. I WILL however call and see what is going on with all of that and get whatever the case may be in writing. As far as they are concerned I have never even received the cards. I saw the card in the mail the day I called and told them Id never received them when I got home from work. All in all, I dont care about the fee or whatever, I just know they are not who I want to do business with. Terrible management skills.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.