Did you mean: 

Closed accounts and Low balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed accounts and Low balances

Any Suggestions...

I just pulled my CR's and my scores were 666/641 --

It stated that I had to many accounts with balances- (which I pay off every month) some of my credit cards have low balances- should I close these?

also- I have too many credit accounts- do closed accounts count as credit accounts.  They are just sitting there with inactivity since 2002-03--

Don't these drop off after 7 years.  Why do I get dinged for good pymt history, good credit history?

Thanks for suggestions...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Closed accounts and Low balances

@Anonymous wrote:

Any Suggestions...

I just pulled my CR's and my scores were 666/641 --

It stated that I had to many accounts with balances- (which I pay off every month) some of my credit cards have low balances- should I close these? If it was me, I would pay the balances off and leave them open.  I've read repeatedly here only close an account if it is costing you money (like monthly/yearly fees, etc.)

also- I have too many credit accounts- do closed accounts count as credit accounts. They are just sitting there with inactivity since 2002-03--

Don't these drop off after 7 years.The negative goes away after seven years but the account should remain for ten years.  i have an account since 1993!  it's good for your AAoA to have old accounts.  Why do I get dinged for good pymt history, good credit history? Fico is finicky at best.  from my understanding, the "understanding your score" will tell you what is hurting/helping.  It is the top two reasons that are "hurting" that usually (but not always) count the most.  What are your other things listed that are "hurting" your score, and if you listed those here you would get more feedback from the pro's.  What does it say is helping your score?

Thanks for suggestions...

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Closed accounts and Low balances

I would reduce the numberof accounts with balances. I would leave the accounts open. The score factors are always listed in order of impact on the score. Why do you think you have too many credit?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.