Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed credit card account payment history showing in new credit line

tag
ZeusLaser
Established Member

Closed credit card account payment history showing in new credit line

In one of my more boneheaded moves I allowed a Capital One card to go 120+ days late which then turned into a "key derogatory" on my account for the better part of a year. I paid it off sometime in 2012 (would have to dig up the date to be honest) via a debt collector. The debt collection does not show on my report, the Capital One account is listed as "closed/charged off".

A few months back I applied and was accepted for another unsecured Capital One card after some improvements to my credit.

However, the new Capital One card's payment status is showing up in my report under the old closed Capital One listing. The credit limit shows my current one (not the orignal) while the open date of the account is listed as 2010 and the status is "closed/potentially negative." I'm confused as to why the new card doesn't show up as a totally new credit line and the old closed credit line simply remain closed.

Has this happened to any one else? Is this a good or a bad thing?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closed credit card account payment history showing in new credit line

Have not heard of this happening previously. This could end up in your favor, if C-1 is reporting the new acct number and the new CL in the old line with the older open date, I would wait a few months to see if it self corrects, if not and it continues to report this way I would just dispute the remarks that are in the description.

Message 2 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I would do a direct dispute with C-1 if it isn't straightened out in a couple of months rather than contacting the CRA. You would just contact Cap One to have them correct the error in reporting.

Message 3 of 10
ZeusLaser
Established Member

Much obliged to you both, I'll give it another a few months.

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I wouldn't do either type of dispute without first trying to get it corrected by calling Cap 1.

What about all the other pertinent information on the account such as date opened, date reported etc.  Has all that changed?

And you are correct.  The new card should be a totally separate new TL.

Message 5 of 10
ZeusLaser
Established Member

Info listed is a mixed bag. Age of account is the old card, limit is the new card, last payment noted was the new card ... I'll need to verify somehow but I think they may have issued me the same card number.

Side note, I had an issue signing up for the online account access originally, kept stating the account was locked, etc. I had tried setting up the online account several times, using different email addresses each time but it would not let me create one ... which leads me to believe that it was somehow tied to the old account number. Took multiple calls to their CS dept. to get it unlocked finally. Who knows, I'll give it a month or two before contacting them as the card is still new.

Message 6 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

How long was your credit card closed/charged off with them before they allowed you to get another?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ZeusLaser wrote:

Info listed is a mixed bag. Age of account is the old card, limit is the new card, last payment noted was the new card ... I'll need to verify somehow but I think they may have issued me the same card number.

Side note, I had an issue signing up for the online account access originally, kept stating the account was locked, etc. I had tried setting up the online account several times, using different email addresses each time but it would not let me create one ... which leads me to believe that it was somehow tied to the old account number. Took multiple calls to their CS dept. to get it unlocked finally. Who knows, I'll give it a month or two before contacting them as the card is still new.

The issue with waiting is if they are still reporting the old one as a charged off account.  If that shows up mixed in with the new TL, that cannot be a good thing.

If they did in fact reissue the same account number, the old information would need to be entirely deleted for them to do that.

Message 8 of 10
ZeusLaser
Established Member

~2 years.

Message 9 of 10
ZeusLaser
Established Member

Thanks, I'll be contacting them shortly.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.