Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed vs. Open Collection Tradelines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed vs. Open Collection Tradelines

Hopefully one of the veterans here can answer that question.  I'm not sure on that one.

Message 11 of 16
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So far your answers seem to be based on who owns the debt and who has permission from the owner to collect. My question would be - if the debt is Out of Statute for Suit in the debtor's State by Law, does all collection authority cease, as it is then totally uncollectable.

They will continue to call not only after the SOL expires but even after the reporting period expires.  I still got calls 15 years after DOFD from PRA about a CapOne card I had when I was 19.  I've even offered to settle it for the original amount of the card on numerous occasions but they think they can get 600% interest from me. 

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So far your answers seem to be based on who owns the debt and who has permission from the owner to collect. My question would be - if the debt is Out of Statute for Suit in the debtor's State by Law, does all collection authority cease, as it is then totally uncollectable.

They will continue to call not only after the SOL expires but even after the reporting period expires.  I still got calls 15 years after DOFD from PRA about a CapOne card I had when I was 19.  I've even offered to settle it for the original amount of the card on numerous occasions but they think they can get 600% interest from me. 

They can call all they want, they just better behave when they do. Arizona is a 1-party State and I record all collection calls for playback to a Judge at Trial. I am the founder of Debtorboards and I know FDCPA and FCRA and I am always looking for violations (like misreporting) with which to haul them into Court over. Suing a creditor is best done when they lost the right to countersue through the expiration of SOL, and suing them makes them MUCH more agreeable to a settlement which will entail permanent removal of the TL.

Message 13 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A consumer has the right under FDCPA 805(c) to notify a debt collector to cease all communications.

That applies regardless of the SOL status.

If you have a debt that you wish to terminate continued collection calls, simply send the debt collector a cease communication letter under FDCPA 805(c).

Any communication thereafter will be a clear violation of the FDCPA.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

A consumer has the right under FDCPA 805(c) to notify a debt collector to cease all communications.

That applies regardless of the SOL status.

If you have a debt that you wish to terminate continued collection calls, simply send the debt collector a cease communication letter under FDCPA 805(c).

Any communication thereafter will be a clear violation of the FDCPA.

Now why would I want to prevent some stupid bill collector from putting his foot in his mouth and stop his emplyer from sending me a check for $1,000?

Message 15 of 16
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Because some of us have small children that these knuckleheads seem to enjoy waking up.  

Robert, since I have moved I will wait until they contact me at my new house then hit them with a C&D.  It's PRA so it'll be done once I send that.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.