Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing CC - Authorized User

tag
gercredit
Contributor

Closing CC - Authorized User

Hi guys,

my wife is currently a authorized user on one of my cards which helps her very short credit history.
But I would like to close that account because it is an account with annual fee and the credit card has fulfilled its puporse.

What will happen to her credit history after I close the card?
Will the card stay on her report (as for mine) 10 years or does it simply drop off?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Closing CC - Authorized User

Closing an account terminates the ability to make any future charges on the account.

FICO continues to score the account.

However, if the account is closed with no debt balance, the creditor may, at their option, simply decide to delete all reporting, thus removing any expense of continuing to monitor for updated reporting, and any possibility of any future disputes. 

If the creditor chooses to delete, then the account will be removed from scoring.  The consumer has no control over voluntary deletion by a creditor.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gercredit wrote:

Hi guys,

my wife is currently a authorized user on one of my cards which helps her very short credit history.
But I would like to close that account because it is an account with annual fee and the credit card has fulfilled its puporse.

What will happen to her credit history after I close the card?
Will the card stay on her report (as for mine) 10 years or does it simply drop off?

Thanks!

Does she have accounts of her own established? If so, just close it. If its a starter account only a year or so old, its not doing a heck of a lot for AAoA anyway.

Message 3 of 6
gercredit
Contributor

Hi NormanFH,

yes she does.

But lets maybe be more clear. She wants to get approved for the CSR/Freedom combination. In order to get around 24/5 I wanted to release her as an AU and then simply close an Amex card. This is why I am asking. So I actually DONT want it to report.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I don't think they count AU's for that, my mom has a Chase card and with being sn AU on mine and hubby's cards she has/had about 10 accounts when approved, only 3 were hers. But you can removed her as an AU before you cancel the card and it'll come off her reports
Message 5 of 6
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

But you can removed her as an AU before you cancel the card and it'll come off her reports

It won't necessarily automatically come off her credit report. She May be able to request removal from her reports from the original creditor. 

I was an authorized user on my wife's Discover, accounts been closed for 6+ years and it's still listed on my reports.  It's not bothering me any...

As always, YMMV

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.