Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Credit Cards

tag
lessonslearned
New Contributor

Closing Credit Cards

I have two credit cards with a combined total availabe credit of $350.00. I was recently approved for a $400 Chevron/Texaco card and a Discover IT. Would it be ok to close the two smaller cards or will that hurt my score? My util will even out. Both cards were opened 08/2013 and have reported positively since then.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Closing Credit Cards

@lessonslearned wrote:

I have two credit cards with a combined total availabe credit of $350.00. I was recently approved for a $400 Chevron/Texaco card and a Discover IT. Would it be ok to close the two smaller cards or will that hurt my score? My util will even out. Both cards were opened 08/2013 and have reported positively since then.

You need 3 bankcards and 1 store card at minimum to help drive your Fico. Why do you want to close them Secured or have AF??

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep them open for now. As your scores build you may want to get a couple more 'upper tier' bank cards that have no annual fees, and then close your "starter cards" if they have annual fees.

Message 3 of 5
lessonslearned
New Contributor

Well embarrassingly enough, I went on an app spree and applied for a bunch of store cards. These two are my lowest limits. I have twelve cards total and that just seems excessive.

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@lessonslearned wrote:

Well embarrassingly enough, I went on an app spree and applied for a bunch of store cards. These two are my lowest limits. I have twelve cards total and that just seems excessive.

Oh well, in this case then if you are not going to use them then by all means jettison them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.