Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing account to improve score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing account to improve score

One of the negative factors on my FICO report is too many open accounts. I have two accounts that are revolving department store accounts and have been unused for at least 5-8 years.  I do not believe they have a credit limit, nor are there any balances.  Why would it be not in my favor to close these to help rectify "too many open accounts"?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Closing account to improve score

What is your score?  Sometimes when people have pretty good - really good - great scores, FICO comes up with some ridiculous answers that don't really seem worthy of consideration -  Someone had 2.1% utilization recently and FICO claimed high utilization.  More info needed.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 8
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't place to much stock in what the descriptions say that are affecting your score.

My TU says that not enough of my accounts have been paid on time in recent months.  Oddly, my last late payment was 4+ years ago. 

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Horrible score equafax is 587.  I do have collection accounts two were paid off - one is pending .. Just paid down the credit card balances( 4 different mastercard/visa accounts) and goal is10 to 20 percent unitization and balance paid in full every month  Will reach that part of the goal inext month.  I do have a 30 day late ( 9 months ago- Visa) and a 90 day late with a department store ( 3 months ago)- balance is paid off now.

The two accounts that I was thinking of closing, since they are never utilized and non have maybe a $ 250.00 limit,are clothing store revolving credit.  The last time I used one on them-in-fact the only time- was 2003.  The other was last used in 2007 and I think that might have an old late.  SInce I have to wait until the above mentioned latest gets past the two year mark, would it be detrimental to close these accounts?  Would it help me in the longer term?  Note there are no annual fees.

Lastly I a also think of disputing the two paid off collection accounts and hoping the collection agency does not respond to the credt reporting bureaus.

Any thoughts 

Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, don't close them. Let them be. The history will help in the long-run.

Don't dispute. Send a GW letter asking them to delete.

Try sending GWs for the lates too.

Message 5 of 8
sunshine24
New Contributor

I agree. I wouldn't close them. Just put them away and don't worry about them. After my divorce and a terrible financial situation, one of the only things that has saved me is a 10+ year old, $500 limit Capital One card that I never used and has actually kind of forgotten about. Now I'm rebuilding and that one, old card is giving me a much longer history than I'd have otherwise.

Starting Score: 608 EQ (FICO) 8/11/11
Current Score: 713 EQ (FICO) 2/14/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ llecs-   Thanks for the post.  What is a GW letter?  Share I send it directly to the three credit bureaus or the issuers of accounts in question?

Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

GW letter Q&A, Examples, and GW Success Stories .....  they go to whomever reports the paid TL (e.g. a CC, lender, etc.)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.