Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-Applicant Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Co-Applicant Help

Over 10 yrs ago my husband got a credit card with his dad. It gave him a good rate, he barely used it and really forgot about it. When his credit was good, it was still a forgotten card. So when he got denied for a Best Buy card (which he had previously, but they close the account if you don't use the card after 6m of inactivity) we sort of looked at each other in question. Turns out that card he had forgotten about with his father is a problem. It's $15k+ in debt, his dad used it for starting up his business and things fell through. But failed to inform my husband the card was going bad.  I thought he was just an authorized buyer so i called them and told them to remove his name. They said they couldn't do that, and that he's a co-applicant. We need a car badly, and since he's the one who works and my credit is in the process of being fixed I'm looking for a way to get his name removed. His experience with credit cards is really limited. He's had 4 accounts, and the 3 he used was paid off on time except for maybe one late payment by a few days. Is there any sort of fix for this or are just stuck?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Co-Applicant Help

@Anonymous wrote:

Over 10 yrs ago my husband got a credit card with his dad. It gave him a good rate, he barely used it and really forgot about it. When his credit was good, it was still a forgotten card. So when he got denied for a Best Buy card (which he had previously, but they close the account if you don't use the card after 6m of inactivity) we sort of looked at each other in question. Turns out that card he had forgotten about with his father is a problem. It's $15k+ in debt, his dad used it for starting up his business and things fell through. But failed to inform my husband the card was going bad.  I thought he was just an authorized buyer so i called them and told them to remove his name. They said they couldn't do that, and that he's a co-applicant. We need a car badly, and since he's the one who works and my credit is in the process of being fixed I'm looking for a way to get his name removed. His experience with credit cards is really limited. He's had 4 accounts, and the 3 he used was paid off on time except for maybe one late payment by a few days. Is there any sort of fix for this or are just stuck?

Hello and welcome.

You need to know exactly what is on all of your credit reports. I would go to annualcreditreport.com for the free reports you can get there. Look at them and see how this account is reporting.

You say the card was opened 10 years ago but when did it go into default? Is it just late payments listed or has the account been charged off and/or sent to collections?

If your husband is listed as a joint owner I'm not sure if anything can be done to get him removed unless perhaps you are alleging ID theft. But first things first. Pull those CR's and see where you stand.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.