Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-signed loan hurting me

tag
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Co-signed loan hurting me

About three years ago, I did something stupid and co-signed for my wife to get a personal loan which equaled up to about $3700.. Well, there is a reason why she is my EX-wife. Now she has been paying the loan, but she does it on her schedule so it runs 120 days late on almost every pymt. Needless to say, it's hurting me each month. I've been attempting to rebuild my credit for the last 8 months or so, but I feel like this is crushing me. It's only reporting in to Equifax, but I live in the south so that is the CRA that almost everyone pulls from. I finally got my EQ score to the 600 mark and I'm wondering if it's possible to still get my score to the mid-upper 600's with this thing hanging over my head?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Co-signed loan hurting me

Unless your divorce decree stipulated payment and closing of the account, thus removing your further obligation, you are stuck with your John Henry.

The creditor wont let another party they can come after off the hook, so your unilateral attempts to be removed probably will come to naught.

Is there any legal agreement you can strike with your ex to ensure timely payments?

Message 2 of 4
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Probably not. I have a decent relationship with her at times, but she won't budge on this. I realize I'm stuck with it, I'm just trying to make the best of it. I had the crazy idea of trying to add it on when I refi my car in a few months, if possible, just to stop the bleeding.

Message 3 of 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Is there any chance the creditor will remove you from the loan (and remove the tradeline) if it's paid off early?

What's her reason for always paying it late?

My Ex pulled something similar: called one day and informed me she was not going to pay any of the AU cards she'd maxed out. I can laugh about it now, but whittling that debt down to $0 and making everything current took years.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.