Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cohen & Associates ...... The result of cleaning up your credit

tag
mato01
Regular Contributor

Cohen & Associates ...... The result of cleaning up your credit

The cost of cleaning up your credit.........

Yesterday, I have a message from Cohen & Associates on my work phone stating that they are going to serve me with court papers at my job. Since, I can't have this kind of message being left on my work phone I call the number back (i know).

I tell them my name only, and they say have you been served.

I say, Who, and what do you want. They hang up.

I call back, and I get a guy on the phone who goes, well, if you don't settle this, then your job will get a notice to garnish your wages, and then you will have to go to court, and we will get a judgement. I said are you for real. Do not call me at my job, do not call me period.  And, the guy hung up on me.

Not worry, just annoyed, because anyone at my job could pick up the message, and they don't give the (this is a collection agency speech, they just go right to the message).

By the way, the collection is for FNB, which just aged off my credit report in February, so its past the Michigan SOL, and is 7.5 years from the DOFD  (no early removal). So, from what I'm reading here, its called a ZOMBIE debt.

In the Garden until 6/1/2016
Mar 2014: All Scores in the 520 range.
FEB 2016: myFICO: EQ 660, TU 682 EX 681
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cohen & Associates ...... The result of cleaning up your credit

Sounds like grounds for a CFPB complaint.  Cohen & Associates is a junk debt buyer.  Lowest of the low.

Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cohen & Associates ...... The result of cleaning up your credit

This is a scam and if they are a legit collector there are numerous violations of the FDCPA being committed. No one calls and says they are going to serve papers they just do it. The next time they call I would tell them you need their address so your attorney can serve them papers for all kinds of violations of federal law. This usually stops the calls, you could also report them to the CFPB and states AG.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.