Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cohen and Slamowitz NEED HELP!

tag
angelita1212
Valued Member

Re: Cohen and Slamowitz NEED HELP!

Ok, thanks for the info.

I'm on Long Island, so I'll check if that is available out here as well.

Good luck with your case!

Don't mind my in progress signature....

Message 11 of 26
Errin1
Contributor

I sent you a pm. I would love to hear your story. I feel a little better, like I'm not alone

hr> src="http://i.imgur.com/LEYWe.png">Starting Score: TU 610 EQ 655 - 8/2010
Current Score: EQ 714 9/13 EXP 708 8/13 TU 717 8/13
Goal Score: too much of a yoyo, maintain the 700's for 2013

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 26
Errin1
Contributor

Angelita, I'm on Long Island too ! 

Message 13 of 26
angelita1212
Valued Member

Errin1, I wish you good luck with them!

I just got my judgement vacated, but they are attempting to have the judgement granted again. A great pain to deal with!

We should start a support group or something.....haha.

I'm going to check out whether pro se attorneys are available here as well, and I'll share any info I find.

Don't mind my in progress signature....

Message 14 of 26
Errin1
Contributor

Angelita, Did you get it dismissed with prejudice? I thought if you got it dismissed with prejudice they have to leave you alone. I'll pm you...I have a  few more questions.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Errin1 wrote:

ok let me explain this mess a little better.

In June I received a letter from the sherriff informing me of an order to garnish my wages. The person on the letter/plaintiff was MRC, who I never heard of. I called the sherriff's office and they told me to come down to check if there was a judgement against me.

Lo and behold there was one (had to pay for the print out of course) I asked a few people for advice and they told me to send an order to vacate because I was never notified of any judgement and had no idea who MRC Receivables is. I filled out the paperwork at the Clerks office and found out that this judgement was on behalf of Cross Country Bank. 

I file and start doing my research and I am shocked to find out about the business practices of all 3 entities involved in this mess. There is no judgement noted on my credit and this judgement was issued back in 2005?!? I never received notice to appear in court. 

I went to court today and the judge asked me if I wanted to answer the  opposition to order to show cause. I told her I did (because I figured I should)  and she gave me a new date of 8/5. I am so confused. I went to the clerk's office and they gave me yet another form to fill out. I am at my wits end. How can these companies do these things to people??? 

It's always good to give ALL the details in your first post so people aren't wondering what the heck you are talking about.

Just because you never knew you were served doesn't mean you weren't legally served.  When you obtained your file did you see the Proof / Return of Service?  How did they claim you were served.  Simply mailing a Summons & Complaint is not effective service.  Are they claiming Nail & Mail?

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Andrew22 wrote:

Not sure about the rest of NY state, but in NYC the pro se attorneys offer free legal help. They are located in the court building. You can take a number, wait and get a consultation. They can help you with everything from filling out forms, to advising you how to proceed. They don't directly fight your case, but they will help you do it yourself.

Only in NYC and, perhaps, LI.  Not Upstate.

Message 17 of 26
Errin1
Contributor

they're claiming "nail and mail" (had to look thaat one up) They claim a process server made attempts to deliver and they left it on the door.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Errin1 wrote:

they're claiming "nail and mail" (had to look thaat one up) They claim a process server made attempts to deliver and they left it on the door.

Nail & Mail.

Try and convince the judge that you are the victim of sewer service.  Go over the Proof / Return of Service with a fine-toothed comb.  See which process server they used and find if they have a history of sewer service.  There was a huge scandal a while back with a few process servers who as a matter of routine performed sewer service.

Message 19 of 26
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

+1

and, Cohen and Slamowitz was one of the firms named in that scandal.

http://liarsandcheats.info/cohen-slamowitz-unfair-collection-litigation-practices/about-2/111009-mot...

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.